Author Topic: Stuck oil pressure gauge needle, at maximum  (Read 713 times)

gordon

• Senior
  • United Kingdom, England, Burntwood
Stuck oil pressure gauge needle, at maximum
« on: August 16, 2024, 15:40:23 »
(I’ve looked on the forum before asking.) Just noticed the oil pressure gauge needle is at the max mark with engine switched off. I’ve disconnected the sender tube at the filter end hoping to relieve pressure but no needle movement so reconnected it.

Hopefully, just a stuck gauge??.

alchemist

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • USA, NY, GRAND ISLAND
Re: Stuck oil pressure gauge needle, at maximum
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2024, 18:00:32 »
If you remove the whole cluster out of the dash, then you can separate the oil gauge from the whole cluster. Manually lower the needle and soak the whole thing in lubricant for a day or two. I hope this helps.

gordon

• Senior
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2024, 16:05:59 »
Thanks Alchemist. I’ve removed the cluster and separated the oil pressure gauge-and in doing so left a full dna sample under the dash.

At the moment the needle is spring loaded against the high pressure stop, I would have expected it to be loose and resting on the bottom stop. Presumably the oil pressure has pushed something in and it’s become stuck although everything seems to be free.

Has anyone had one of these apart to give further guidance?  Thanks, gordon

gordon

• Senior
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2024, 14:21:13 »
 i have dismantled the gauge and put it back together with the needle resting on the bottom stop

It does work but does not show the correct pressure as checked with an external gauge [ far too low a reading]

i am now looking for a repro replacement or a working used item. any leads would be much appreciated

Lorsar

• Membership Administrator
  • Silver
  • USA, NC, Charlotte
  • 1968 280SL (US)
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2024, 14:47:22 »
Lori
1968 280SL (US)

gordon

• Senior
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2024, 17:22:09 »
Thanks Lori, I’ve checked with just the gauge on the end of the line, 15 psi on the dash gauge, 50 + psi on an external gauge when cold. (I probably should have checked that the oil line is clear)

I’ll have to sort it, I cannot comfortably drive with 15 psi showing although I know I’ve got 50 psi