Author Topic: Carpet Snaps?  (Read 4269 times)

bpossel

Carpet Snaps?
« on: March 22, 2007, 06:50:19 »
Yesterday, I looked at a nice, later model, '71 113.  It recently had its interior redone.  I noticed that the front floorwell carpets on the drivers and passenger sides had snaps in each corner to hold the carpet down. Makes it nice to be able to remove and clean them...

When I removed my old carpet last weekend, my carpet did not have these snaps.  However[:0], buried underneath the carpet were the lower part of the snaps (covered in glue).  The lower part of these snaps are screwed into the floor holding them in place.

:?: Question... how was the carpet installed in these later models?  What is the correct install method?

:) Thanks!
Bob

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320

jeffc280sl

Re: Carpet Snaps?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 07:21:13 »
My 70 had snaps

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

Douglas

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 10:47:33 »
It's supposed to have snaps, but over time, the backing tends to weaken around the overlying carpet. If you're not careful, the carpet will literally rip around the snap in a perfect hole.

Heyco (another German tool company aside from Hazet) manufactures a nice pronged device that helps you to grab around the clip and pull up without tearing the fabric around it. The tool looks sort of a screwdriver with a pronged head. I'll bet you can find it at Samstag Tools. It's also ideal for removing door panels if you have another vehicle with plastic snaps holding it in place. (Pagodas don't have those, of course, but many other Mercedes do.)

Douglas Kim
New York
USA

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 15:18:44 »
What do these snaps look like?
Are they similar to the snaps/studs that hold the 230SL rubber mats in place?

Alfred
1966 blue 230SL automatic
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

bpossel

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 19:57:08 »
Hi Alfred,

I have not seen the snaps that hold down the rubber mats, but my guess is that they are probably the same...

The bottom part of the snap, the part that screws into the floor pan is the "inner part" of the snap, the male.  The part that is connected to the carpet is the larger, outer part, the female part....
Bob

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 20:05:19 »
My car has the male-ish studs that presumably held the rubber mats. However, I have since replaced my carpet -- so the floor carpets are the carpeted variety (with no snaps or holes). I considered trying a grommet tool to help fasten them down. They tend to slip and slide a lot. Right now I have a small piece of two-sided velcro holding them.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 16:30:08 »
quote:
Originally posted by bpossel
.. I have not seen the snaps that hold down the rubber mats, but my guess is that they are probably the same...

Bob,
here is a picture of the studs as they were in my 230SL. They protruded through a hole in a rubberized felt mat (shown in the picture)  underneath the removable top rubber mats. The removable rubber mats have holes that are pushed over the studs to rest in the grove.  Since the holes were a bit narrower than the studs almost all were fraid by now. The studs in the upper portion of the footwell are longer and the ones on the floor next to the seat a bit shorter.  They may be different from your clips.
I was told by my carpet source that they do not reuse them when installing all carpets - and no top rubber mat - in a 230SL and I plan to do the same.

Download Attachment: Rubbermat_Studs.jpg
42.03 KB

Alfred
1966 blue 230SL automatic
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)