Author Topic: hardtop -- removal of side windows  (Read 343 times)

rmacka

• Junior Level
  • Belgium, Flanders, antwerpen
hardtop -- removal of side windows
« on: September 16, 2024, 18:53:15 »
hello, can somebody guide me in the following topic :
I want to start with renovating my hardtop, and first I have to dismantle all parts. I got stuck to 2 problems :

1. removal of the side windows is not clear ( also not in the German document available in one of the forums ) what has to be done to remove the side windows safely ? and later on the safe fitting. 
2. removal of the locking device : there is a pin and so far i could see a long end and 2 smaller pieces as in the attachment seen, how exactly to remove this pin ?

Anybody has some idea, some pictures which can help?  Thanks . best regards , Ray

dirkbalter

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Corona
Re: hardtop -- removal of side windows
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2024, 19:25:36 »
Ray,
I recently finished my Hard Top.

1. The removal of the window is relatively easy. Assuming you will use new rubber, cut the old rubber along the window. Once cut, you can slowly pull all the rubber out and eventually remove the window. Assembling is a different story. The side windows are a pain to re-install and require patience and following procedure. (I have a procedure that worked for me. Not sure where it came from but I can send you a copy if I don't find it in the forums somewhere.)
2. The smaller sleeves are pressed onto the larger pin. You can probably press them out if you make yourself a fixture of sorts. (Mine were bad to begin with, so I cut them off and ordered a rebuild kit as shown in your picture.)

BTW, welcome to the forum.

Dirk
66 230 SL
70 280 SEL
53 CHEVY 3100
18 C300 COUPE
05 HD FLSTNI

rmacka

• Junior Level
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2024, 19:48:51 »
Dirk,
 hi, thank you for this quick answer. I have found something under hard top in the technical manual, but the text is referring to numbers which in the pictures are not present. if you can send your procedure should be more as welcome.

as for the pins, one I had cut off, used a grinder, and this was not best option as have to replace the plastic now as well. a small dremel tool is perhaps also an option. Or drilling out, this i have rad somewhere as well.

thanks a lot, yes is first time on the forum. quit interesting. Ray

dirkbalter

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Corona
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2024, 20:39:55 »
Will scan and send later tonight. Are you doing the whole hart top? Headliner, paint.....
Dirk
66 230 SL
70 280 SEL
53 CHEVY 3100
18 C300 COUPE
05 HD FLSTNI

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2024, 22:10:40 »
I have found something under hard top in the technical manual, but the text is referring to numbers which in the pictures are not present.
If you take photos (and maybe video) as you progress through this job, perhaps you could enhance the Tech Manual for future members.
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

dirkbalter

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Corona
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2024, 01:19:58 »
Ray,
Attached are the instructions on the side window installation. I don't remember where I got it but it worked well for me.
Dirk
66 230 SL
70 280 SEL
53 CHEVY 3100
18 C300 COUPE
05 HD FLSTNI

rmacka

• Junior Level
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2024, 05:27:44 »
Hello Dirk,

good morning

yes the plan is to do complete hardtop in next coming months. it is a good idea to log the different steps, which I will do. your guidelines well received. Thanks a lot.
brgds  Ray. 

dirkbalter

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Corona
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2024, 14:04:43 »
Hello Dirk,

good morning

yes the plan is to do complete hardtop in next coming months. it is a good idea to log the different steps, which I will do. your guidelines well received. Thanks a lot.
brgds  Ray.

The German speaking Pagoda forum has some good instructions on the Hard Top restauration as well if you are interested.   
Dirk
66 230 SL
70 280 SEL
53 CHEVY 3100
18 C300 COUPE
05 HD FLSTNI