Author Topic: Oil Leak from top of Oil Filter Cannister  (Read 42 times)

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
Oil Leak from top of Oil Filter Cannister
« on: Today at 19:29:56 »
I recently did an oil change which included dropping the oil pan so I could replace the gasket.  To fix a leak from my power steering pump I then removed the pump and the bracket to replace the seals.  I also replaced the high pressure power steering fluid hose that runs from the steering gear to the pump.  I then started the car to fill the power steering reservoir (steering wheel back and forth) which is when I noticed oil leaking from the very top of the cannister containing the oil filter (see pic).  I know it coming from there because I cleaned everything up and took it for a short drive.  It looks like it is coming from the central screw, which I believe is the oil pressure sensor(?).  I'm wondering if maybe I hit it when I was tightening the power steering hose to the steering gear housing because they are close.  I put a wrench to the sensor but it appears tight.  The oil pressure gauge is pegged when I am driving which was normal so it's reading a pressure. It all looks wet in the pic because I sprayed the area with penetrating fluid.

I'm wondering why this location would just start to leak and if its a consequence of either the oil change/oil pan gasket change or the power steering pump removal.  If there was an oil pressure build up in the cannister I would expect it would leak either at the bottom bolt or at the o-ring at the top of the cannister.

I would appreciate any insight anyone might have.  I'm thinking of removing the sensor, cleaning it up, putting on some thread sealer and seeing if that stops the leak.  Thoughts?

Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

ctaylor738

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Falls Church
Re: Oil Leak from top of Oil Filter Cannister
« Reply #1 on: Today at 23:29:08 »
"I'm thinking of removing the sensor, cleaning it up, putting on some thread sealer and seeing if that stops the leak."

That's exactly what I would do as a first and hopefully only step.

Cheers,

CT
Chuck Taylor
1963 230SL #00133
1970 280SL #13027 (restored and sold)
1966 230SL #15274 (sold)
1970 280SL #14076 (sold)
Falls Church VA