Author Topic: Vintage versus Time-less  (Read 3137 times)

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
Vintage versus Time-less
« on: June 04, 2006, 22:26:42 »
So, I was out today for a nice, enjoyable Sunday drive. I decided to swing into the drug store on my way home. While inside I noticed an oldtimer car had parked nose to nose to me in the parking lot. When I finally got out there, two guys were ogling the other car -- what I take to be a pre-war MG (maybe PA style?)...

So I walked up and said "nice, makes mine look modern, doesn't it?". One guy, who has his camera phone out, says "that's why I'm taking shots of it, not yours". It stung a little, but I came back with "well, age before beauty..." (kinda proud of that one!). They continued to be one-sidedly impressed with the MG. It was a cute old thing, I admit - but hey, the Guzzi is no chopped liver. As I saw the guy holding that bloody camera-phone, or is it phone-camera? - I thought -- you'll come around sooner or later. Anyway, I said "tah-tah" and started mine up. Last thing I heard as I pulled away was "I guess I will take a picture of the SL too."

I told ya he'd come around...

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

Chad

Re: Vintage versus Time-less
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 23:25:15 »
In my opinion the peak of MG came with the MGA fixed-head coupe. A pretty car with handling as its best attribute. The novelty of the older TD-ish design always appeals to many, it's quaint like a Model T.  The highend English cars of the era certainly had begun adopting more modern lines by this time, Aston DB2 and laters.

One pleasing attribute of the 113 cars to me is they seem to fit in quite well in modern traffic. Practical, pretty and clean, as designed. Serviceable and timeless.

One thing that the hobby of oldtimer cars affords is the opportunity to meet many nice people casually interested/appreciative of our antique vehicles. Sounds like you met a snob today. Smile and put it in forward gear and better luck next time.

1967 230SL (Manual)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 23:28:43 by Chad »

joelj

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 10:38:31 »
The older cars (older than our pagoda) do have a certain magnetism but, when it comes to driving one of them, our pagoda still beats them hands down... the creature comforts of aircondition, power steering and automatic transmission.

For example, I've always wanted to own a 190sl but the manaual transmission, along with the manual steering and the al fresco cooling (no aircon) makes me think twice. It would really be more of a show car than one that I would drive on a regular/weekend basis. Its too hot here in Manila to be driving without aircon and the traffic is so bad that your calves will grow if your car is manual fromshifting from neutra to first ot second and back to first over and over again.

Maybe you should have shown the guy the creature comforts of our car...afterall the pagoda is the country club car. Or better yet make him ride it to appreciate the beauty within. A friend of mine thought that I was crazy for buying my vintage benzes. so one day I asked him if he would want to drive one and he took out the 280SL. He came back with a smile on his face and said,"wow that's a car I can drive everyday".

Now he is actively looking for one and has repeatedly asked me if mine is for sale. I said' "sorry this one is already owned by my 6 year old daughter".

Cheers,

Joel

1969 280sl auto
White exterior
Blue interior

JimVillers

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Virginia Beach
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 14:43:12 »
James ..... Don't be so sensitive.  A MG PA is a very rare, unusual and special car that the owner should be rightly proud to drive.  Look in Hemmings and see how may PA's you see for sale; VERY few if any.

On the other hand, do you show similar respect to the guy in a 1967 Chevelle SS or a Cady with big fins?  Even in the car world, different car guys appreciate different cars.  

Jim Villers
190SL, 230SL 5-Speed, 190E 2.3-16 Kompressor
Jim Villers
190SL, 230SL 5-Speed, MGB 5-Speed, MGB GT V8 RHD (real MG), 2016 SLK

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 16:30:22 »
To be honest, it was very light-hearted. And, as Jim says, the owner had every right to feel proud of his car. He was quiet and gracious. It was a neat old car -- looked like something out of The Great Gatsby. I guess one of my points is that the Pagoda is a tweener. Its not old enough to be looked at as an antique or a relic, nor new enough to be lumped in with practically every other car on the road. However, it's amazingly modern-acting for a 43 year old car.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

JimVillers

• Gold
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 17:06:07 »
James .... To be honest, I drive my 230SL a lot and appreciate the thumbs up and comments.  I will also say that I get more attention in my 1971 MGB.  "Everyone" had one years ago and "need" to share their stories.  Cars are just that way.

Jim Villers
190SL, 230SL 5-Speed, 190E 2.3-16 Kompressor
Jim Villers

A Dalton

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 17:15:11 »
J .
 Paste up that MG Logo you use ..
 That is the coolest !!

JimVillers

• Gold
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 20:08:45 »
Arthur .... My MGB also is a 5-Speed .... from a Ford Merkur.... and a Weber carb with a Mallory ignition (I don't trust Lucas).  A sweet driver.

Jim Villers
190SL, 230SL 5-Speed, 190E 2.3-16 Kompressor, MGB 5-Speed
Jim Villers