Author Topic: Koni Update, also flasher frequency  (Read 3896 times)

German Dude

Koni Update, also flasher frequency
« on: August 27, 2005, 00:55:53 »
I started a thread a few months ago regarding my shot red Konis. Well, yesterday I had the time to have the Konis inspected by the ADAC (German version of AAA) who do a complete free checkup for members. They have a fairly sophisticated shake-plate computer thing - and the printout showed that all 4 Konis are like brandnew...

Needless to say I was a bit surprised.Seems I have to start playing with the settings.

Anyway,the guy also told me that the frequency of my turn signals was way too high. I must admit they go really fast - just like the speed you get when the other bulb on that side is broken. They all work fine though. However, I cannot imagine that a relay gets faster with age, if you know what I mean. Any feedback regarding turn signal frequency is welcome and appreciated.

Juergen
64 230SL #2933, 4sp, signal red, white hard top
93 Citroen XM station wagon

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Re: Koni Update, also flasher frequency
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005, 05:09:56 »
Hello Juergen,
For the turn signal frequency, make sure the wattage on all the bulbs is correct.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

German Dude

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2005, 08:58:04 »
Hi Joe,
I must confess my knowledge of electrics doesn't allow me to follow, but I will check tomorrow. I was thinking of the relay, but any idea sounds fine to me at this point. When I first got the car, there were a few bulbs missing, some were wrong, only the turn signals were working so I never checked those for correctness. I will report.

Thanks,

Juergen

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2005, 09:02:00 »
Hey Juergen, my electrical sense is horrible -- but I would also check all the ground wires (especially the ones in the tail and headlamps lights.) I recall having signal problems and this was the culprit.
(also be sure connector pins are clean)

James
63 230SL
« Last Edit: August 27, 2005, 09:10:12 by J. Huber »
James
63 230SL

German Dude

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2005, 10:16:58 »
Well, all 4 work fine - just awfully fast.

Juergen

German Dude

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2005, 12:31:28 »
Well, I checked the bulbs, and they are all 18-watters, as required. The ones in the headlights were awfully dirty but worked nonetheless. After a good cleaning, I had high hopes. Well, they all work but still about twice as fast as a normal turn signal would.

When I got the car, the grounding in basically all four corners of the car was pretty bad, but me and my dad got them all to work - however, I will admit it is a pretty fragile thing: When removing the left headlight piece, sometimes the fog light will not work and I have to take it out and put it back in.

However, is not the switch underneath the dash responsible for the blinking frequency?

I am confused...

Juergen

George Davis

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2005, 12:51:20 »
Juergen,

yes, the relay is 'partly' responsible for the blinking frequency.  The other thing that is responsible is how much current the relay is passing.  The blinking frequency increases when one bulb is bad because the current passing through the relay increases.  Another thing that might increase the current through the relay is bad grounds.  So two possibilities: a bad ground, or a bad relay.

I'd suggest checking and cleaning all grounds again, and don't forget the ground behind the trim panel behind the driver's seat.  If that doesn't work, then a new relay may be needed.

Good luck!

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual

German Dude

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2005, 05:16:32 »
"don't forget the ground behind the trim panel behind the driver's seat"

George, that piece of info might really get me somewhere! I never heard of this ground... Where does it come from? Where does it go to? Do you mean the vertical trim panel behind the door or the horizontal one on the floor behind the seat? Sorry for the stupid question...

Thanks,

Juergen

George Davis

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2005, 07:57:25 »
Juergen,

no problem, that ground point isn't very obvious.  It's behind the vertical trim panel behind the driver's seat.  This ground is for the wiring in the trunk, I believe.  I know my car has it, and I assume all of the Pagodes have it.

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual

German Dude

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2005, 14:17:14 »
Well, I strolled by my favorite Mercedes guy today to talk to him about relays, grounds, and stuff. He told me: "You might be looking for years before you find bad grounding". He is right, I thought, I didn't even know there's one behind the vertical trim panel!

He told me to try 21 watt bulbs instead of the 18 watts.

I did and - it works. I am down to regular blinking frequency. Maybe not a concourse type fixin, but one that made my day.

Thanks all.

Best,

Juergen