Author Topic: Used Parts Dealers Getting Smart...  (Read 4231 times)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Used Parts Dealers Getting Smart...
« on: August 30, 2005, 10:38:28 »
Hey Guys,

The used car parts guys are getting way too smart, and the elusive sedan parts car will get harder and harder to find.

To wit:  These wheels that Jim Villers introduced to us at Joe's--the light alloy wheels that take a full wheel cover--well I found them through Carpart.com, upon Jim's recommendation as a source for used parts.

Trick is, most places now use this thing called the Hollender Interchange system.  These wheels carry this designation called a  Hollander interchange number, in this case it is 560-65133B.  One place I contacted said "While I do not have them in stock I can get them through a yard to yard exchange called EDEN.  It looks like nice ones will cost around $200.00 plus some freight."  So, all the yards know this and thus it should not be a surprise that from coast to coast the price of these wheels was around $200 each no matter where I looked....this is what I mean about getting smart.

It should be noted that Adsit carries alloy wheels--the later, decorative style that don't need wheel covers--new for $134.10!

Sedan or SL, it doesn't matter.  The parts are all cross referenced and the "deals" are few and far between unless you find a private party junker car, or a scrap yard that is in the middle ages! :twisted:

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Douglas

Re: Used Parts Dealers Getting Smart...
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 11:16:38 »
Note: The Adsit alloys are used "bundt cake" factory alloys, but are refinished poorly.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2005, 15:03:49 »
quote:
Originally posted by Douglas

Note: The Adsit alloys are used "bundt cake" factory alloys, but are refinished poorly.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220

I guess until you order you don't know, but the wheels I'm talking about are listed as NEW (they make a distinction and do have used wheels and parts available) and are these:

Download Attachment: alloy wheel.jpg
21.87 KB

I'm not a particular fan of Adsit, but the point is there is collaboration (call it price fixing if you'd like) on used parts!  Gotta love the internet...

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Douglas

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2005, 16:57:21 »
Michael,

Note how they call them "Old Style" and not Mercedes or OEM. I don't think those are factory wheels. At that price, they're definitely knock-offs.

I took a look at their site. The ones I was referring to are in their used wheel section and are going for 89.10 each. A friend of mine ordered a set and received a pretty shoddy set of four. He couldn't get them to pick up their phone afterwards. I wouldn't trust them for used wheels and I also wouldn't purchase aftermarket bundt cake alloys, esp. not from them.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220

Ben

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2005, 06:10:01 »
Thesae "Bundt Cake" wheel were recently featured in the Daimler Chrysler "Classic" magazine where it stated that the factory, or the original supplier (Fuchs) were remaking another batch which would be available for ...............€1100 a set, through the factory !!

I got 4 for €100 and repainted them for €15 !! There aren't perfect but for a daily driver they are fine!

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

bas

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2005, 13:10:22 »
I have a question about those 'Bundt Cake'wheels. I have them under my 1964 230 SL, but I also got the regular steel ones (unfortunately whithout the cover though :( )Question is: where these alloy wheels already on '64 cars (as an option maybe), or should I find covers and change to the steel ones if I want to be in the right time-frame.

bas

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2005, 06:30:57 »
I have a question about those 'Bundt Cake' wheels. I have them under my 1964 230 SL, but I also got the regular steel ones (unfortunately whithout the covers though)Question is: where these alloy wheels already on '64 cars (as an option maybe), or should I find covers and change to the steel ones if I want to be in the right 'time-frame'.

Ben

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2005, 07:12:53 »
The wheels are not correct for a '64 !

They came out in late '68 and I believe became an option on 113's officially in 1969 !

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2005, 17:15:14 »
From the judging sheet for the MBClub of Amer. the light alloy wheels were an option (read that as no points off) for the 1969 model year.

Jonny B
1967 250SL Auto
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor