Author Topic: Was a Red Pagoda in the Hurtgenwald (correction)  (Read 2727 times)

George Des

Was a Red Pagoda in the Hurtgenwald (correction)
« on: September 09, 2005, 13:31:58 »
Correction--It was a Fire Engine Red Pagoda that I saw in the Hurtgenwald (not Hurgenwald) and it was in Schmidt coming towards Schwanmanuel on Wednesday this week not Tuesday--I lost  a day coming over here and I'm having a hell of a time with this Euro keyboard at the Internet cafe in Brussels--for those who don't know, the Europeans do not use the std QWERTY keyboard we are used to and none of the keys are where you would expect. The Europeans are experiencing a rather warm September and it has been absolutely fantastic here the past few days. The drive from Brussels to Germany and all through the Hurtgen Forest, the Eifel region and the Ardennes was classic top down Pagoda weather but alas I had the darn Volvo! Hope all our Euro 113 owner colleagues got a chance to get out and about with their tops down

GeorgeDes

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
Re: Was a Red Pagoda in the Hurtgenwald (correction)
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 15:50:31 »
Hey George. I am envious of your travels -- even if you are not in a Pagoda. Enjoy your visit and have a Schnitzel und Bier for me. (or if in Belgium) -- how about one of those tasty Kriekbiers? I think thats what I had -- can't remember much after the first couple glasses  ;)

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 23:51:30 »
Hey George - I am sitting behind a qwerty keyboard and AFAIK that is the standard over here as well.

Wish I was touring in the Hurtgenwald last Tuesday but, alass, I was working behind my desk (on a qwerty). Besides this past week being nice weatherwise, the rest of summer has been very poor and, in many countries, with a lot of rain.

Cees ("Case") Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

George Des

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005, 04:03:45 »
Back home in the USA again. We Americans may be feeling the gas pinch, but our European friends are having no picnic either. I saw gas prices anywhere from Euro 1.48 to Euro 1.75 during this short trip. I figure this may be approaching $6.50-7.00 a gallon--is that about right Cees? Cost me Euro 64 in gas--I figure about $75 US-- to take my one day jaunt through Belgium and the Hurtgen area of Germany. Like here though, the roads are still filled with travelers and saw no lines at any of the stations. I'm amazed at how many different types of cars there are in Europe that we never see here in the U.S.. One is the A-Class Mercedes. I had one of these on a previous trip over to Koblenz and was extremely skeptical on how well it would handle--not much bigger than an old VW Beetle, I can tell you from my personal experiences that this car is every bit a Mercedes right down to the hallmark Mercedes "Klunk" when you shut the doors. Had no trouble driving the autobahns at speeds up to 140KPH and this was with a diesel model!--Too bad they are not imported here. Will probably be back over again next Spring and may take jaunt up to Eindhoven, Nijmegen and Arnhem this time as a continuation of my battlefield history studies.

George Des