Author Topic: 280 SL tail light changes  (Read 2255 times)

George Davis

280 SL tail light changes
« on: September 12, 2005, 09:07:01 »
The parts book indicates two changes to the 280 SL tail lights, one change at chassis number 007938, and another at chassis number 010650.  Anyone know what the changes are, and whether or not the tail light assemblies before and after are interchangeable?

Thanks!

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: 280 SL tail light changes
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 15:10:45 »
Hi George,

I'm fairly certain that the change at 7938 was the change from all-red to amber directionals.  This was in the 1969 model year.  My car had all red at 7262 made in the 3rd week of January, and I know some late[er] '69's had the ambers.  Don't know if this had any effect on the Euro versions.

As for the second change, I'm not quite as certain, but I believe that to be either:

a) addition of pigtail or socket to plug in the side markers; some point in production in 1969 they changed from reflector to markers.  --or--

b) something to do with one piece/two piece assemblies where the chrome frame is not separable from the lens and backing.

Regarding a) above, it appears on mine as if the ability to plug in the side markers is afforded by the small "harness" that runs between the tail lamps at the back of the trunk; there is a small connector pigtail on each that the marker plugs into.  Don't know if my restorer fabricated this or if this is standard.  Note that all the stuff is interchangable within reason.  I "upgraded" to the side markers and to the amber directionals without a problem.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

George Davis

Re: 280 SL tail light changes
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 16:10:55 »
Thanks Michael!

That makes sense.  I talked to Gernold today in my search for a tail light, and he asked me if mine are all red, or if they are 1-piece (they are neither).  The one-piece type is basically for the 1970-71 models, so I think you are right about that being the change at 010650.

So it seems the 280 SLs had three types of tail lights: early all red, then red+amber 3 piece, then late red+amber (or maybe red+yellow?) 1 piece.  Only the late 1-piece type is available new.  Fortunately Gernold had a good used red+amber 3-piece for me.

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual