Author Topic: Kangol Seatbelts - Safety  (Read 3250 times)

Eryck

Kangol Seatbelts - Safety
« on: September 15, 2005, 20:26:44 »
I have done a search on 'seatbelts' but did not see anything relating to the safety standards of these belts.

I recently bought a refurbed set for $400 (ouch!!) on Ebay following the advice of a friend here in HK who has had his Pagoda since day 1 (well, it was a hand me down from his dad but he's owned it for the last 30 years).  He told me that the Kangol belts are hard to come by and this set is one of the best that he's seen.  Unfortunately someone else also wanted it so from my initial target of $200 or so, the auction ended at $400!

Anyway, back to the topic. Are these 3-point belts safe? The retractable ones are more comfortable but is there a difference in terms of safety?  (FYI - my car didn't come with belts and it is legal given its age here in HK to drive without them but I just don't want to risk it).

Seen many references to the proper installation of these but have not come across any definitive instructions. Anyone have this?  

Thanks in advance, once again, for all your kind advice.

1965 230 SL White Manual
Hong Kong

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Kangol Seatbelts - Safety
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 05:45:49 »
Exactly what are you looking for?  Safety data done with crash testing on seatbelts in the 1960's?  Similar data on the upgraded retractables?

I have a full set of instructions, Technical Bulletin from Mercedes circa 1983, on adding the retractable seatbelts--their seatbelts, not some 3rd party--into the 113.  It does not make a distinction as to which 113.  If I were a betting man, my guess is that sometime in the 1960's there was also a technical bulletin--installation instructions--on adding the Kangol belts to a 113 as well.  Someone just has to find it!

I think you'll have to just accept the fact that when installed according to Mercedes specs--not some shade tree mechanic or owner--that the Kangol or retractables will be as good as you can get.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

George Davis

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2005, 08:26:52 »
If the belts have new webbing, they are probably, as Michael said, as good as you're going to get.  With non-retractable belts, the main thing is to adjust them so they fit you snugly.  If you allow a lot of slack in the belts so you can move around easily, then in an accident your body can move forward quite a bit before the belts even begin to become effective, greatly increasing the chance and severity of injuries.  Doing this restricts your movement in the car, but if you want the belts to work, you have to do it.  Ask a race driver; they pull their belts up as tight as they can.

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual

Kenneth Gear

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Fairfax Station
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2005, 10:57:18 »
Asked another way ..how much safer are retracables over Kangols?

My uneducated guess is that the retractables generally provide a significant increase in safety over the older Kangol design.  Having said that, a tightly secured Kangols is likely to effectivly hold you in the seat in most accidents.. the danger occurs when you get lazy with the Kangols and leave them loosely fitted about your body, that's not a risk with retractables.

Ken G
1971 280 SL
Silver/red
Ken G
1971 280 SL Silver/red

Chad

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2005, 11:18:21 »
I agree with that, the Kangols need to be tightened.  Realizing that safety in 40 year old cars is marginal by modern standards.

-CD-
1967 230SL, 113.042 10
1983 300TDT, 123.193