Author Topic: The Lure  (Read 2413 times)

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
The Lure
« on: September 16, 2005, 20:42:04 »
She lures me out there.  Quietly she waits in the garage.  She doesn't share my gaze... merely sits there with the cozy yellow blanket draped around her, looking as though she wants the touch of my hands.  I can sense that culmination is near.  I think I have made the right connections and all she needs is fuel and a battery and I'll be ready to start her.  

I began her engine overhaul four months ago, and had her engine bay and body stripped and painted.  New firewall pad, cleaned and painted engine parts, new Sanden Compressor, new condensor.  Able to work on the car only three or four days a month, and I am finally close.  I still have to add the other fluids but I think I'm ready to start her.  I know the FI pump, mixture, linkage and other challenges lay ahead, but I am foolishly optimistic.  I really want to go to work this moment.  Either old age or wisdom has told me that although I want to, I should wait until the morning to begin the last leg of the journey.

The night will be long.

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

A Dalton

Re: The Lure
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 21:03:36 »
<I really want to go to work this moment. Either old age or wisdom has told me that although I want to, I should wait until the morning to begin the last leg of the journey.

The night will be long. >>

See what happens ?????
  ...a warning to those who dare that first repair....
Terminal, with no known cure.

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
Re: The Lure
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 20:24:15 »
Huzzah!  Eureka! Yeeha! and other expressions of a celebratory nature!  She runs!  

Saturday morning, I topped off the fluids, primed the injectors by losening them until fuel came out each one.  Tightened them up and darned if the car didn't start right up and run.  Simply amazing for a fellow who's last engine ovehaul was a hot rod Chevy in 1971.  

I need a helper to bleed the brakes and clutch slave.  Then put all the chrome back on the body.  That will have to wait a couple more weeks, but I know that first drive after overhaul is coming soon.  

Thanks to all of you who contribute to this forum. Your knowledge and advice have been invaluable to me throughout this project.

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe