Author Topic: Dent repair  (Read 5849 times)

hauser

Dent repair
« on: October 20, 2005, 21:22:17 »
Yesterday I had a dent removed from my driverside door.  I had my doubts weather or not this could be done to my satisfaction.  The dent is now gone!  Ckeck them out  http://www.dentwizard.com/

1969 280sl 5 spd
Gainesville, Fl.

gugel

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Rolling Hills Estates
    • CPE Site
Re: Dent repair
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2005, 00:39:18 »
I share Hauser's high opinion of Dent Wizard.  I had a dent removed from my right door a while back, and they did it perfectly in less than an hour without marring the paint or even removing the inner door panel.  Never thought it was possible, but there's no trace of the dent now.

Chris Earnest

zanone

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2005, 06:16:09 »
Just had a dent "massaged" from the left front fender and it looks perfect. Had to remove the front left wheel panel to get the right tool to the area so it could be pushed out from the back. Then the tech took an nylon "pencil" and tapped the outside to level it and to match the orange peel pattern.

peterm

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2005, 08:02:32 »
One of the little advantages to living in NY is a continual supply of door dings.  Very few people here respect other peoples property,  Surprising enough I find the seniors the worst offenders.  My detailer keeps a paintless dent man on retainer for me and my cayenne is averaging one dent removal per month!  Their work is often invisible and keeps my year old dark red cay looking as good as the day i drove it off the lot

Ed Cave

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2005, 16:26:00 »
Straying a bit from topic here but my wife is a Real Estate Manager for Cox Enterprises, a company based here in Atlanta. Cox owns numerous television and radio stations, several newspapers, folks in the Southwest probably get their DSL, cable tv, long distance, etc. from Cox.

Interestingly Cox also owns Manheim Auctions (a nationwide auto dealer auction network) the infamous Auto Trader and yes, you guessed it, Dent Wizard. She handles all of the Southwest properties and Dent Wizard sites across the country.

Why anyone needed to know all of this, I am not sure.  ;)

Ed Cave
Atlanta, GA

1971 280SL
1973 911S
2004 A4 3.0
2006 GS430
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 20:16:43 by Ed Cave »

113gray

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2005, 18:11:15 »
I agree about Dent Wizard's results. I had 2 dings in the DS rear fender on a prize '01 SS Camaro Conv from storm/wind damage. Dent Wizard fixed it within an hour while I waited, dings absolutely gone/invisible, cost $99 (in'04). Unbelievable! Warning: May not work on any 113 aluminum panels.     -JP-
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 18:13:21 by 113gray »

Ed Cave

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2005, 20:24:46 »
From previous email...
Warning: May not work on any 113 aluminum panels

Text lifted from Dent Wizard website says:

The capabilities of Dent Wizard Process allows for repair of dings and dents on steel as well as aluminum panels. Extensive damage such as creases, protrusions and large dents can be repaired- even on bodylines and in difficult access areas.

For what that's worth...

Ed Cave
Atlanta, GA

1971 280SL
1973 911S
2004 A4 3.0
2006 GS430

hauser

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2005, 20:27:48 »
The tech did such a good job that only I know where the damaged area was.  The repair did leave a little bit of an orange peel texture on the finish.  This would be have been okay except that my finish has none of that orange peel to it.

1969 280sl 5 spd
Gainesville, Fl.

Bob G ✝︎

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2005, 12:04:51 »
I have a great deal of respect for these guys. My friend is in the PHD level of this field and has saved my 87 Ford Mustang from stripping its orginal color coat. Like any other field when you find a good source especially one that does not drill holes in panels I am sure your car will be much happier as you will be knowing you saved it from the dreaded surgery of the body shop. Not that body shops are bad!!! it is just that quick satisfaction is always better.

Bob Geco
« Last Edit: October 22, 2005, 12:05:22 by Bob G »

113gray

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2005, 14:55:57 »
It's also interesting that, at least here in the southeast, the "paintless ding removal" guys are set up separately from the standard body shop & few of the latter do this work. This results in competing approaches to the problem, & when one asks a body shop person about the new technique, he gets a funny look & a spiel about how it's best to do it the old "tried & true" way (even tho' it's 4-5X as expensive). As stated earlier, my result was excellent, but I'd also be interested to hear if Bob Geco has seen any poor results from paintless ding removal.   -JP-

Ben

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2005, 03:11:54 »
I had beautiful dark blu Alfa Romeo a few years back, really straight car, clean lines and not a dent anywhere, 'till some a55wipe with a 3000 GTO opened his door onto it !

It left a hideous mark right on one of the crease lines. The sahpe of this car is such that along the sides the panels are really flat with no rub strip ! The dent could be seen a mile away !

I was dubious about this guy but it came out perfectly. We got him to do some other cars in the family after that !

I may get my 113 done as there are some marks on both doors !

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2005, 17:29:46 »
I work at a Lincoln Mercury dealership.  Our body shop let some space to Dent Masters a while back and sends as much work as practical to them!  Why?  Final blocking, masking and painting a car is the bottleneck in a production shop.  Our shop can actually process more cars by not clogging up the paint line with lots and lots of little dent and scratch jobs.

I posted this last year but it bears repeating that my neighbor's cat was inadvertently locked up in my garage one weekend.  When we returned home and pulled into the garage, that cat shot out of there like a bolt of lightening!  Then we noticed the big old Coleman cooler that he had somehow dislodged off a high shelf onto the hood of the 230SL, right across hood bulge, and this was just a week before the Deutsche Marque Concours!  I removed the hood and the Dent Masters guys worked on it for an afternoon.  When they were done there wasn't a mark on it, even on the underside.  The 230SL took 1st in class.  Total cost? $125!

quote:
Originally posted by 113gray

It's also interesting that, at least here in the southeast, the "paintless ding removal" guys are set up separately from the standard body shop & few of the latter do this work. This results in competing approaches to the problem, & when one asks a body shop person about the new technique, he gets a funny look & a spiel about how it's best to do it the old "tried & true" way (even tho' it's 4-5X as expensive). As stated earlier, my result was excellent, but I'd also be interested to hear if Bob Geco has seen any poor results from paintless ding removal.   -JP-

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havanna Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2005, 20:55:59 »
Our local MBCA dealer uses Dent Solutions.  They gave our section a private demonstration at the dealership this year (April?) by repairing dents on a salesman's current body style C-class and a member's 1970 280SL, including a door panel.  Worked great!  I don't think there's any advanced science to the tools or methodologies, it's more of an art and the results depend on the talent of the artist.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

Ben

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2005, 03:10:21 »
I had my current model CLK repaired on Wednesday after somone opened a door onto it on Monday ![:(!]

It was a nasty dent midway up on the drivers door.

It is now invisible !  I showed the guy my 113, which has 2 similar dents and he is returning in a few weeks to fix them before it gets paint. He stated that there would be no problem doing this car, but that the aluminium is thicker than on mostr cars and it would take a bit longer...............same price though !!   :D

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

Ed Cave

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2005, 17:55:48 »
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Hughes

that cat shot out of there like a bolt of lightening!  

Originally posted by 113gray

Even though they supposedly have nine lives this was a probably a pretty strategic move by your neighbor's cat...

Ed Cave
Atlanta, GA

1971 280SL
1973 911S
2004 A4 3.0
2006 GS430