Author Topic: Spa-Sofia-Luttich rally  (Read 2847 times)

pablo_o2

• Senior
  • Belgium, Flanders, Zoersel
Spa-Sofia-Luttich rally
« on: November 12, 2005, 06:01:15 »
We all know that the pagoda got famous winning this historical rally in 1964 by driver Eugen Bohringer. But does anyone have the exact circuit those guys followed in these days, I mean which roads they drove and which towns they passed etc. Perhaps one day I might take the trip or keep dreaming about it ;) Regards to you all

Paul Haems
'68 280SL

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Re: Spa-Sofia-Luttich rally
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 07:16:07 »
Hello Paul. Two years ago I traced the original route, which is shown as a one-page drawing in the Vom Barock zur Pagode book by Engelen, as best as I could usinga route planner software package, from Spa all the way to northern Italy, then back to Speyer. Of course the original route went to Sofia and ended in Liege, but I did not want to go that far - the idea was to use it for a European event to coincide with the German club's celebration of the 40th anniversary of the Pagoda.
My suggestion if you want to do the whole route someday is to look up the page in the Engelen book.

Cees ("Case") Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2005, 09:14:30 »
quote:
Originally posted by Paul H

We all know that the pagoda got famous winning this historical rally in 1964 by driver Eugen Bohringer. But does anyone have the exact circuit those guys followed in these days../..

Well, we must set one thing straight here - the win for the 230SL and Böhringer was in 1963. The route at that time can be seen in the following sketch:
http://files.upl.silentwhisper.net/upload9/Spa_Sofia_Liege_route63.jpg

Then, the next rally season 1964, Mercedes with team Böhringer (and three other M-B cars) tried to repeat the victory. However, they were beaten, and came in third :? .  The route for the 1964 Rally was altered, and can be seen in the Engelen book as stated by Cees.

/Hans in Stockholm
« Last Edit: November 12, 2005, 09:22:40 by mbzse »
/Hans S

pablo_o2

• Senior
  • Belgium, Flanders, Zoersel
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2005, 13:48:40 »
I have the Von Engelen book as well. As you notice the map isn't detailed at all. I was hoping somebody allready did some research about this and is willing to share it. I know those things take a lot of preparation and organisation. But i'll bend over it anyway!

Paul Haems
'68 280SL