Author Topic: Wannabe owner: Rough value of a '68 4 speed  (Read 2525 times)

Guenter

Wannabe owner: Rough value of a '68 4 speed
« on: November 10, 2005, 11:57:52 »
Hi all, I'm new to this forum and would like to buy a W113, particularly in that I really like my W124 and W201 and so want to continue with MB's.

I'd like to buy a 'fun' car and looked at many a sporty car over the last year or so and finally decided that all in all considered, a W113 would be nice .... not to big, not too small, sporty but comfortable .... but I don't need to go here I'm sure.  I drive 2 older MB's at the moment and am impressed with the build quality etc.  
   Anyway, in my area (Ontario) there is a '68 280SL for sale that originally came from the US north-east (ie salt country) The owner points out that there is rust in the rockers (he suggests that they are available and that they will need replacement) as well as in the wheel wells (probably therefore elsewhere too).  I have absolutely no idea of how to value such a car and do want to pay a fair price for it.  Supposedly it has 150k miles on the engine and that it is otherwise in good shape and certainly drivable.  Can anyone at least point me in the right direction re what I should consider paying?  Any help would be much appreciated.

cheers

Kenneth Gear

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Fairfax Station
Re: Wannabe owner: Rough value of a '68 4 speed
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 13:20:02 »
That's a tough one to answer without having seen it.  Obviously, the rust is a huge factor depending upon the extend and there is always more than you think.

I good solid #3+ or low #2's car is around $30K to $40K these days. You can get decent driver condition cars in need of some work all the time for around $20,000.

It sounds like the rust situation puts yours in need of serious work.
Depending upon the extend of the rust ... $8,000 to $12,000 is my guess.  Obviously even the $8,000 is high is the rust is extensive.

My advice is find one with little to no rust and focus of fixing mechanicals and cosemtic items which can be expensive but at least you can get good estimates on what they cost.. fixing rust issues is usually a endeavour where high estimates are meaningless.

Good luck!

Ken G
1971 280 SL
Silver/red
Ken G
1971 280 SL Silver/red

Douglas

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2005, 13:51:38 »
I think Ken's numbers are correct. It's amazing how even the rustbuckets are worth more today.

I think the ones to be really frightened of are the $10K examples bought by unscrupulous dealers who give it a quickie paintjob, new MB-Tex interior, and gobs of Bondo, then *poof!* it's a $32K car with 65K original miles on it.

Guenter

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2005, 18:00:32 »

Many thanks Ken and Douglas.... much appreciated.  I intend to see the car this weekend for myself to get a better idea.  I am very serious about aquiring one but will take the advice dispensed elsewhere on the board of waiting for the right car to come along .... I guess bottom line is that it's always a gamble.  Sure do love the way these cars look.  Possibly I might come back for another helping of much needed advice.

cheers, Guenter

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2005, 21:35:31 »
Is this car green with tan interior?  If you don't buy that one give me a call. I have one here too.

Dan Caron's
 SL Barn
benzbarn@ebtech.net
 slbarn.mbz.org
  1 877 661 6061
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC