Author Topic: Crane Ign Update  (Read 13238 times)

Bearcat

Re: Crane Ign Update
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2005, 12:56:03 »
sarcasm at its Best Dan!. Unlike yourself most of us are not proficent at fine tuning our cars. The reason why I went electronic was reliabilty. My points were constantly off, probably due wear and tear and I havent the ability to reset them and got p*ssed off after a trip nursing the car home together with clogged injectors. I have just ruled a major headache out re reliabilty. I genuinely was worried doing long trips. People over this side of the pond turn their noses up at electronic ign in classics.....for what? afraid they may have a reliable daily runner on their hands? Big picture stuff folks....as for Dans suggestion of heated seats, if this pulls your chain go for it!

280SL 1970 (Bastardised)
S500 2000
E220  2005 CDi Est
« Last Edit: November 10, 2005, 12:58:25 by Bearcat »

TheEngineer

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, West Seattle, WA
  • '69 280SL,Signal Red,
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2005, 13:19:19 »
I just can't resist: Many years ago, someone suggested where my brain might be. Therefore, wouldn't a heated seat fry my brains?
'69 280SL,Signal Red, 09 cam, License BB-59U
'67 230SL, 113042-10-017463 (sld)
'50 Jaguar Roadster XK120, #670.318 (sld)
tired engineer, West-Seattle,WA

Chad

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2005, 19:36:45 »
Dr Benz I love your post!!!

-CD-
1967 230SL, 113.042 10

Chad

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2005, 22:53:42 »
Has anyone considered adding four wheel drive to this chassis??
Oh, and yes, seat massagers.... :)

Anyway, I think I will indulge and purchase the XR700 next week. The concept seems quite simple and appropriate.  Thanks again for the advice.

-CD-
1967 230SL, 113.042 10

TR

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2005, 23:04:09 »
Chad -- I've been running the XR700 for a number of years now; no problems with it.

The back massagers work great too.  They really do.  Also the seat heaters and chillers.  Got 'em directly from the supplier (Webasto) that's been selling lots of stuff to M-B for decades.  Installation was not a big deal.

Tom in Boise
'71 280SL 4-spd, signal red w/lt. tan interior, restored/enhanced

Chad

« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2005, 20:32:21 »
Wow, I was just complete joking about massagers and such, Tom!  The power steering in my 230SL is enough luxury for me. Were it my choice I would probably even do without the power steering, but maybe not.

I think that is fascinating that you have all of these luxury items in your w113.  I just looked at your photos.  Your car is probably better equiped that the modern car I drive every day.  There are definitely two schools of thought on vintage cars, and I believe both are completely valid and support loving enjoyment by enthusiasts.

-CD-
1967 230SL, 113.042 10

TR

« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2005, 22:34:19 »
Chad -- Thanks for the kind comments.

My wife and I intend to use the car more & more for longer & longer trips.  And to keep it forever.  She simply will not tolerate any discomforts, and recently said the 280SL is now as comfortable as her CLK500 cabriolet.

Over the coming winter my very-able band of friends / mechanical & technical gurus may bring the M130 engine up to a level of performance that will deliver a slightly better HP/pound ratio than a CLK500 (which is slightly better than a new SL500).  We shall see.

BUT, I and my merry band of highly-able associates will neither cut metal nor make such changes that than cannot fairly easily be returned to original should the mood ever strike.

As you correctly say, there are two schools of thought here.  As I've owned the car for 20 years now, I guess I'm ready to go for some enhancements, or as some might say, "individualizion".  But on the flip-side, I also have a lot of respect for keeping things as original as possible...such as my friend, David Pease, has done with his lovely 230SL.

BTW, the inspiration for the Webasto seat massagers for the 280SL came when I drove another friend's new AMG-version SL65.  At 600+HP and 740 ft. lbs. of torque a back massage (also courtesy of Webasto) felt pretty good after having been shoved so hard into the back of the seat!

Tom in Boise
'71 280SL 4-spd, signal red w/lt. tan interior, restored/enhanced

blairwag

« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2005, 22:43:00 »
Sarcasm and joking aside (BTW, I did LOVE Dan Carron's post ;) ), I went with electronic ignition a year or two ago, too. Someone asked how hard it is to convert back - for me, it's impossible. Not because I hosed the distributor - but because I just can't justify going back to breakers. My car ran great before the conversion - that's how I knew it was the right time for the conversion. It still runs great. I mounted the Crane XR700 under the batter tray, right where the original transistorized module was - so, it's virtually invisible. I've had no trouble, and I'll never go back.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William Blair Wagner: blairwag@earthlink.net
Education is not always knowing the answer,
...but rather knowing where to look for it!
1971 280SL US Automatic
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~