Author Topic: Latest Pagoda World  (Read 7093 times)

bpossel

Latest Pagoda World
« on: November 07, 2005, 07:54:43 »
I received the latest copy of Pagoda World over the weekend and it is great!   :) Thanks Douglas Kim!  

What a great magazine!  Good articles and nice pics!  What is this that I read about our editor retiring, stepping down?

:( It will be ashame to see Douglas retire at this point!

Bob

bpossel
Memphis, TN.
1971 280SL
1997 E320

peterm

Re: Latest Pagoda World
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 08:00:59 »
Hopefully he won't follow in the footsteps of Richard Madison and sell his pagoda.  Though I'm suspicious he may be tempted by the dark side and get an early 911.

zanone

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 10:10:17 »
Bob, were you the Memphis person who went to New York to see Richard's car?

bpossel
Memphis, TN.
1971 280SL
1997 E320
[/quote]

Douglas

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2005, 10:51:28 »
Thank you for the kind words of support, Bob.  To be frank, the issue would not have been possible without the assistance of a longtime colleague and friend:

Download Attachment: helper.jpg
78.97 KB

Douglas Kim
Mahopac, NY

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2005, 16:13:45 »
Hello Doug and the Pagoda world staff,
I was very pleased to see the long article about the diesel 230SL, finally culminate into a publication.  I'm happy to be part of the big family that shares the common interest of these pagoda SL's.
Thanks for all the hard work.
Cheers and happy Pagodaing,
Walter Klatt
1967 230SL-diesel
1963 230SL-gas and being stripped

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2005, 17:43:18 »
Doug,

I just received my Pagoda World in the Netherlands! Great issue, great content and great photographs... I especially like the (Member #xxx) feature!

I'm sorry to see you retire!

With that loss I expect to see many members submitting interesting stories to ensure we can fill the next issue... otherwise we have no chance!

Great job, Doug

Peter

1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Ben

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2005, 02:50:24 »
Yes I recieved my copy here in Ireland anbd I concur with the viewpoints of the others here !

I read it start to finish last night and cant wait for the next one !

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

Tom

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Alexandria
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2005, 06:45:56 »
I've been away and just returned to read my Pagoda World issue-Doug, it looks and reads great-thanks for your efforts on this!

Tom

1971 280sl Tunis Beige Metallic (restored & enhanced)
1971 280sl Tobacco Brown (low mileage stock)
1970 280sl Deep Red (Project Car)
1971 280sl Tunis Beige Metallic
1971 280sl Beach Driver

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2005, 16:11:56 »
Dear all,

Please note Doug's helper taking a CAT-NAP after stuffing many envelopes with PW-6 in the post below!

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

gwuisman

• Senior
  • Netherlands, Zuid-Holland, Oegstgeest
  • Keep it simpel
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2005, 02:05:37 »
Just a matter of fact(s).
I also received the rich and well edited fall edition of PW. A nice mix of technical stuff and more personal impressions. The artwork on the cover appeared very familiar to me but reading the editorial description I got the fear that it could lead people who would be willing to make a picture of their pagoda with the same background, to the wrong place. So, don’t go to the Jaufenpass north of Merano to get a picture like on the cover. You will not find the location there as it is in the Lake District between  Windemere and Ullswater. How do I know this all? Well check out http://www.sl113.org/forums/uploaded/gwuisman/200582162023_Like%20a%20dinky%20toy.jpg and you will understand that in the stress of getting such a good issue of PW edited, Douglas took the wrong text in the editorial. Perhaps it was meant for the left photo on the bottom side of page 14. No strong feelings on my side and sorry for James but I am proud that my pagoda is on the cover and closes your nice article. By the way, how did the UK MB Owners Club get the privilege to be invited? My subscription was denied as members of the German Club had preference.

Gerard Wuisman

Ben

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2005, 02:36:29 »
quote:
By the way, how did the UK MB Owners Club get the privilege to be invited? My subscription was denied as members of the German Club had preference.

.........the Mercdes-Benz-Club is one of the few Clubs, and the ONLY UK based one that is officially recognised by Daimler Chrysler. This Club was established in 1952 and alledgedley led to the formation of the USA Club. There have always been very strong links between this Club (which is a Worldwide Club BTW) and the factory and we recieve numerous invitations all year round to various events ! :)

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

Douglas

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2005, 05:38:40 »
Gerard and James,

Editor's note: OOPS!

My apologies for the error. I sifted through so many photos and settled on that one because it was quite a remarkable blending of car and landscape. Not at all the typical lineup of cars at a show or the classic vanity shot. It's a great photo even if it's attributed to the wrong location and owner. Again, my apologies. (Similar 280 SLs, but now I see that James doesn't have bumper guards.....)

So did you notice that the photo was retouched? We made the SL even smaller to make the shot more dramatic.

rob walker

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2005, 17:43:16 »
Just received my copy all the way over in Seoul, South Korea. Made me very homesick for my Pagoda which is curently residing in the UK.

Douglas, great edition and really sorry to see this will be your last.

Rob Walker

1968 280SL papyrus white/green leather
2004 230 SLK silver

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2005, 07:19:52 »
You really cannot get the staff these days...Not good enough I am afraid ;)

The wife was looking forwards to being a cover girl on Pagoda World and this error puts me in serious trouble.  :twisted:

Not seen the offending cover yet as I am away on business but she is really not going to be happy[:p] Thanks for all your efforts Douglas, i do hope you and the cat will have a long and happy retirement and have suitable replacements lined up!

I am sure the wife'll get over it - she appears to be used to the idea of me selling her SLK and replacing it with a Smart ForTwo!. Audrey will be hurt though :D

(It is a great pic up in the Lakes.)
 :D

And as for Ben's comment, the MBOC UK has long attended the SL-Club pagode events (18 years I think) and there's a rumour that the UK club are trying to organise a trip to the new MB museum in Stuttgart before it opens/as the first official club event at the new site. I will be signing up should this happen.
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

blairwag

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2005, 22:57:29 »
Got my copy of Pogoda World last week. Absolutely EXCELLENT! You guys, who put this together, do an absolutely AWESOME job. You're love for the cars really shows in what you do. You are all basically volunteers, who never truely receive the recognition you deserve. Great Job!  I really enjoyed everything in the issue.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William Blair Wagner: blairwag@earthlink.net
Education is not always knowing the answer,
...but rather knowing where to look for it!
1971 280SL US Automatic
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

n/a

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2005, 13:53:41 »
where can I get a copy of the mag

Too many toys NOT enough time to play

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2005, 16:28:45 »
Busterbram - the magazine is sent to each full (= paying) member of the Pagoda Group. You can register for membership here:

http://www.sl113.org/membership/default.asp

The full membership costs $/EUR 30 per annum, which mostly covers the cost of producing and mailing out Pagoda World. From the little margin that is left, we pay the website hosting etc expenses. The Group is run by volunteers and is all not-for-profit.

Cees ("Case") Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II