Author Topic: aircon compressor replacement  (Read 3582 times)

n/a

aircon compressor replacement
« on: November 24, 2005, 09:18:30 »
my car came with the original piston type compressor made by york i believe. it still works fine but i want to update the compressor to the new rotary type which is less taxing on the engine. i would appreciate suggestions/tips from members who have taken this route before. can anyone recommend a brand and model of compressor? thanks!  :)

George Des

Re: aircon compressor replacement
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2005, 09:30:07 »
The Sanden 508 or 505 will work but will need an interface bracket if you use the original compressor bracket.

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2005, 21:52:38 »
The Sanden 508 is available with the R-12 service port if you want to stay with original freon.  If you are updating the compressor you may want to go to the more environmentally friendly and readily available, R-134. If you do, you may want to replace the condensor with a modern cross-flow condensor to make up for the lower efficiency of the gas.  Either way you go, you should replace the dryer too.  

For mounting to the existing bracket, the York to Sanden adapter is about $35.

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

n/a

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2005, 02:18:08 »
thanks raymond and george for your inputs, i will check the sandens and will go with the environment friendly R-134.since i am changing the whole thing, might as well do it environmentally correct. thanks again guys!

RBurg

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2005, 17:13:20 »
Does anyone know what would be the differance in lost or gain of HP from the York vs the Sanden

Ron
71 280SL Tobacco "O GIGI"
97 E420 Silver Mist

n/a

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2005, 19:26:20 »
most modern aircon compressors are rotary type(sanden, nippon denso, etc.) and are very easy on the engine when engaged. you cannot actually feel the compressor engaging when driving the car. the york compressors that came with the car are of the piston type(like a small engine) and can sap some power from the engine when engaged. i dont know about actual horsepower loss but it is discernible when driving the car.  :)

George Des

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2005, 19:45:16 »
Ray's right--if you go R-134A, chnage out the stock condensor for a more efficient parallel flow one available through a number of aftermarket A/C suppliers. You'll need to chnage out the hoses for the more modern barrier type with the o-ring type fittings. You'll need to have these made up custom for your application.

n/a

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2005, 20:16:36 »
Hi george, thanks to you and ray i decided to take the R-134A route. my aircon supplier is preparing all the materials for the conversion and will schedule the work next week. thanks!