Author Topic: To Chrome or not to Chrome  (Read 2594 times)

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
To Chrome or not to Chrome
« on: December 02, 2005, 13:44:32 »
I often wonder why MB used chrome plated parts or Polished Anodised aluminum for their trim pieces.  I often see the American cars from the 50's and 60's with polished stainless trims and they still look highly glossy and shiny after all these years.  Was it a cost issue?  Or was it an aesthetic issue?  
Walter Klatt
1967 220SL-diesel
1963 230SL-gas

enochbell

Re: To Chrome or not to Chrome
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 14:17:40 »
The general answer is that brass is much easier extrude and/or form than stainless, it does not oxidize (easily) and it takes plating with ease.  Pieces like the A-pillar chrome could probably have been stamped from stainless stock, but not so the door and fender trim.  You will also note that several pieces that are very compicated are actually cast from an alloy, then chromed (I believe the door handles and trunk handle are cast).  Finally, back then (late 50's to mid 60's) stainless was a relatively new alloy, and it was expensive.  Nickel was very expensive and the small amount of it in the high-carbon stainless steel probably cost as much as all of the rest of the metal combined.

I assume the lower door trim is aluminum to save weight and because it is strictly ornamental, unlike the medial trim that carries the rubber bumper and, because it was "intended" to get bumped was made of the harder brass.

All of the above are assumptions based on a limited knowledge of metalurgy, so I would love to learn more or be corrected where I have drawn the wrong conlusion.

Great question,

g

Best,

g

'64 230sl, fully sorted out...ooops, spoke too soon