Author Topic: Fan Belt Sounds?  (Read 2826 times)

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
Fan Belt Sounds?
« on: December 24, 2005, 11:20:07 »
Hi. Can't say I have ever heard us discuss this. Yesterday, the rains let up and I jumped in to exercise the old Guzzi (230). As car was idling -- cold and then warm, I swear I was hearing more than usual. Not a squeal, not a groan, just some sound that seems to emanate from the fan belt area? Tension on belt is maybe about 1/2 inch. Any ideas?

Thanks.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

George Davis

Re: Fan Belt Sounds?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2005, 15:28:27 »
Hi James,

I just have to wonder if it isn't the Good Fan Belt Elves singing "Jingle Bells" to you?  If the sound goes away after Christmas, that's probably what it is.

Other less pleasant possibilities are water pump bearings failing, alternator bearings failing, fan belt(s) failing, mouse in the works.  I seem to think your car doesn't have a fan clutch, so that's out.  Loose bolts holding the fan on might be a possibility.  This would all be the work of the Evil Fan Belt Elves.

With engine off, try to wiggle the fan front to rear.  If there is more than slight movement, suspect the water pump or fan bolts.  Other than that, it may just take a bit of poking around to figure it out.

Merry Christmas, and I hope it's just the Good FBEs!

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2005, 16:01:47 »
Hey Thanks George. I'll go have a wiggle (and try to catch them Elves in the act...) As for the fan best failing -- is this something I could address [as in me, the shop-class loadie...]
For some reason, I do happen to carry a back-up belt... sort of dreaded that day I'd need it!

Merry Christmas to you and yours as well.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2005, 17:24:18 »
Follow-up...

Well, I wiggled the fan -- no movement. Wiggled the alternator -- some movement. So I put a wrench on top mounting nut. It was tight. Then I figured there had to be another nut somewhere. And here's where you mechanics out there should be proud of me... I used a mirror, found the lower nut and...it turned at least 3/4 of a turn! Boy did that feel good! And, if those elves aren't playing with me, the sound seems gone for now...

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2005, 23:25:46 »
quote:
Originally posted by J. Huber

And here's where you mechanics out there should be proud of me...

I'm no mechanic, but I'm proud of you anyway!  Down with those nasty Evil Alternator Nut Loosening Elves!

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2005, 21:58:14 »
Thanks Rodd. Even if my problem seemed isolated and maybe a bit trivial, a couple good lessons are here for the group:

1. Really get to know the sounds of your car. In my case, the odd sound was pretty subtle but I caught it instantly.

2. Spend some time studying the problem -- it could be easier than you think to fix.

3. Always come here with your 113 troubles, no matter what.

(And Thanks George D. for sending me elf-hunting)

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL