Author Topic: Front Springs?  (Read 4096 times)

bpossel

Front Springs?
« on: September 18, 2005, 15:33:28 »
My left front side sits ~1+ inches lower than my right side.  Car is tilted!

:?: If I need to replace the spring on my left side, do I need to replace the right side also at the same time?  In other words...  do these need to be done in pairs? :oops:

Thanks,
Bob

bpossel
Memphis, TN.
1971 280SL
1997 E320

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Re: Front Springs?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 16:05:17 »
I've still not seen consensus on whether these springs ever wear out - many contend they never do. So unless one of yours is clearly broken somehow, I suggest looking into some other possible culprits first, like the pads that are on top of the shocks, or you might even check the rear of the car, how the suspension is looking there: also here there are pads, donuts at the trailing arms, etc. (because I recall Jim Villers telling us that his front was too high not because there was anything wrong with the front suspension but, rather, because his rear suspension was sitting too low).

But if I were replacing a spring because it was broken, I would go for all four, just to get it done and over with. If you go that route, I would suggest carefully matching the new ones to the old ones, or else you could be battling another ride height issue for a while.

Cees ("Case") Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

bpossel

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 17:18:26 »
Hi Cees!

I have already replaced both rear spring pads, the center rear differential mount, and the trailing arm bushings, donuts.  So, in summary, my rear seems to be ok.

My problem is that the drivers side front in 1+ inches lower than the passenger side.  I would like to even this up.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Thanks!
Bob

bpossel
Memphis, TN.
1971 280SL
1997 E320
« Last Edit: September 18, 2005, 17:21:45 by bpossel »

JimVillers

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Virginia Beach
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2005, 18:37:45 »
Bob ... One solution would be to add "rubber spacers" to the driver's side to raise it up.   The rubber spacer to adjust the ride height was from http://www.mcmaster.com/ Item 9774K48; SBR Rubber Flange Gasket 3" Nominal Pipe, 3-1/2" ID, 5-3/8" OD, 1/8" Thick. $2.76 per Pack of 6.

I would also look at the rear to see if there is a problem there (sagging in the left rear can appear to be a too high in the right front)

Jim Villers
190SL, 230SL 5-Speed, 190E 2.3-16 Kompressor
Jim Villers
190SL, 230SL 5-Speed, MGB 5-Speed, MGB GT V8 RHD (real MG), 2016 SLK

jeffc280sl

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2005, 18:44:56 »
Hi Bob,

Maybe Arthur will chime in here.  He seems to be a suspension wiz.  I know there are spring pads on top of the from springs.  Mine were in pretty good shape because they are up high and protected from the elements.  They come is different thicknesses although an inch sounds like its off more than the max to min thickness pad.  How is the other side?  I suspect it's good or you would have said something.  I was thinking maybe a thin pad on the passenger side and a thick pad on driver.  I'm sure you could add an additional thick hard rubber ot top to help compensate.  The bottom of the top spring pad is shaped to fit over the end of the spring.  The top side of the pad is flat.  I would consider adding a 1" pad on the driver side.

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

bpossel

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2005, 05:45:25 »
Thanks Guys!

I will focus 1st on the rubber pads, vs assuming that the springs are weak.

I'll order the rubber and let you know how it ends up.

Thanks again!
Bob

bpossel
Memphis, TN.
1971 280SL
1997 E320

norton

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2005, 08:29:28 »
One would think the drivers side would wear or drop first(car always has the weight of a driver, not always a passenger)Could you just swap driver's spring with the passenger side spring?

Mike Halleck
Chesterfield Mi
71 280SL
68 250SL (parts car)
94 E320 Coupe

bpossel

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2006, 17:39:44 »
Update....

A while back I replaced my front spring pads with new 30mm pads.  While this did even out both sides, my car sat high, too high!

This morning, I pulled out both front springs and sawed off one spring ring from the top of each spring.  With one ring removed, my car now sits approx 2 inches lower in front.  While this may seem like a lot, the new ride height looks perfect!  I drove the car this afternoon, and I am very happy with the results.

The new height is 13.5 inches, measured from the center of the star on the wheel cover to the lowest point on the fenders.

Pic attached

Bob

bpossel
Memphis, TN.
1971 280SL
1997 E320

Download Attachment: 2.jpg
80.99 KB
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 19:06:40 by bpossel »

113gray

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2006, 07:14:20 »
Bob, Thanks for the follow-up to an interesting ride height problem. Your solution was a very courageous one!     Jim Pancoast

bpossel

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2006, 12:03:17 »
Hi Jim!

Happy to share with you and the group...

Cutting one ring from each of my front springs was not something I would have done a year ago.  I tried many things (as you know) to correct my ride height issue and also the fact that one side was higher than the other.  Before I did this radicle procedure... I removed the "spring cheater nuts" installed by a previous owner; replaced the front rubber spring donuts; replaced the subframe mounts; replaced the kingpins and all other bushings; I also replaced the rear rubber spring donuts, trailing arm bushings, etc.. Alignment done 2x's...

The reason I point this out is that I did everything else 1st (all normal replacement items) before making the decision to cut the springs.  Not sure why I had to do this to get my front end lowered?  Others with similar ride height problems may be lucky in simply replacing the above mentioned items?

Regards,
Bob

bpossel
Memphis, TN.
1971 280SL
1997 E320