Author Topic: What a relief - car running normal again!  (Read 2271 times)

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
What a relief - car running normal again!
« on: January 26, 2006, 17:26:33 »
Some months ago, I decided to replace my fuel injection pump with a rebuilt one that I had picked up in Germany about two years ago as part of a package that included an engine-to-be-rebuilt that I wanted to have. This FI pump really looked great, like new (with all the right yellow chromate, yellow seal stuff, plastic caps on the valves etc).

After the swap-out, the car ran pretty rough when pulling away from idle, and hesitated slightly while driving, say, 40 MPH. First I thought the pump needed to 'settle in' (had not been used for several years after the rebuild). Then, when the hesitation did not go away, I thought it might be the ignition timing, which was not quite right before the swap of the pumps. So I tinkered quite a bit with that (and, boy, does the ignition timing have an impact on the engine performance characteristics). When this did not clear things up properly either (although it seemed to make some difference) I started looking at the linkage settings. I checked the spark plugs and the leads resistance. I also checked the CO mixture. It just seemed to me this rebuilt pump should be better than my old one? Driving the car was no fun anymore, so I barely did so the past three months (also being too busy at work to have the time to do more tinkering).

Then, finally, this evening I decided to swap them out once again, putting my old pump back in. Having done this once before, I managed to get the job done in a little under 3 hours; there are some nuts and bolts that are pretty tough to get to, and some can only be approached from underneath the car.

Anyway, I test drove the car and the hesitation is all gone. What's more, the car seems to run better than ever, probably due to my fiddling with all the other things.

As far as timing of the pump, all I did both swaps was just orientate the marking on the gear exactly the same as the pump that just came off the engine.

It's always so nice to get some performance problem resolved; also because something like this ("hesitation" or "intermittent miss") can have so many different causes on our W113's. Glad in this case it was just that rebuilt pump. Now I have to get it looked at to figure out what the problem with it is. Maybe the guy I bought it from went through the same ordeal.

Cees ("Case") Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
Re: What a relief - car running normal again!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 19:00:49 »
Congratulations, Cees,

Very well done! Great experience!

I remember Doug complaining a little a few years ago that he had some similar problems with the "once in the past" putatively overhauled injection pump of his 1st SL which had some "intermittent miss" as well. :(
Only after he got this original pump correctly overhauled again by H&R the car ran perfectly. :?
That's what he once mentioned to me.

So, as a result: mostly it is the periphery of the injection pump that causes troubles, but sometimes the pump itself. ;)

Great experience!

Best

Achim
(Magdeburg, Germany)
Achim
(Germany)

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Re: What a relief - car running normal again!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 21:39:54 »
Hello Cees,
Glad the W113 will be ready for Spring driving!

Try a 13mm swival socket with just the rignt length extension (all 1/4" drive) to get that bottom injection pump nut next time and you will not need to work under the  car.

Also I finnally shipped your driveshaft wrenches a few weeks ago, so hopefully you will be seeing them soon.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally