Author Topic: Chome Bezels-All Red Tail Lights/Fuel Issues  (Read 4327 times)

JPMOSE

• Gold
  • USA, DE, Harbeson
Chome Bezels-All Red Tail Lights/Fuel Issues
« on: January 26, 2006, 19:50:11 »
Hey guys.  My 250SL arrived Tuesday night and I am thrilled.  Of course I am starting to notice a few more marks than my first visit to the car in Oregon.   However, it is overall a well cared for rust free car.  There are some door dings...I am going to remove the panels and try Dent Wizard first.  RBM  (Mercedes dealer in Atlanta) has a Dent Wizard on site full time and swears by them.  We shall see!

OK...here is my question:  Are chrome tail light bezels available seperate on the early all red tail light assemblies?  I notice in Millers, etc. that the bezels are only listed for later models that would have been equiped with red/orange tail lights.  I realize the relector and lens are combined on the red version but before I go through the effort of pulling the assembly out I would like to know in advance.  

Thanks for your help!

I drained the fuel tank today...there was some sand like sediment but looking into the tank through the sender unit hole did not reveal any tank rust.  Is it normal to have some sediment w/o tank rust?  The screen on the drain plug is shot so I ordered a new plug for $24.   Tomorrow morning I will take the screen out of the pump and clean it, along with replacing all rubber lines between the engine and tank.

Best Regards,

J. P. Mose
1968 250SL
Best Regards,

J. P. Mose
1968 250SL
1970 280SE 3.5 Cabriolet
1987 560SL

TA250SL

Re: Chome Bezels-All Red Tail Lights/Fuel Issues
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 23:15:32 »
The early red tail light lenses are glued to the chrome frames, but the inner plastic reflectors can be snapped out of the assembly. New frames are available from the European Benz parts dealer such as Van Dijk, and reproduction red lenses are available from many parts vendors. The reflectors can be vacuum plated if the reflective finish is worn. Mine were about 90% gone, so the replated lenses provide much brighter tail light illumination. Good luck.

Tom
Early 1967 250SL
Euro version    
Los Angeles

DaveB

• Gold
  • Australia, Western Australia, Lathlain
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 00:11:43 »
Although the old style one piece bezel/lens combination is no longer available, I'm pretty sure the chrome bezels are the same on all models, so that if your old one-piece all red lenses are bad you should be able to knock them out of the bezels and replace them with new amber lenses. At least I hope so, as that's what I intend to do.

DaveB
DaveB
'65 US 230sl 4-speed, DB190

JPMOSE

• Gold
  • USA, DE, Harbeson
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 05:13:44 »
Thanks for the responses so far.  The lens and reflector combination are in great shape.  However, I noticed that I have some extremely fine surface pits on the chrome.  But you literally have to get within 2-3 inches and use a flashlight.  The rest of the chrome seems so good that I wondered if I have the option of replating the chrome.  I think I will live with in because it does look great from normal viewing distance.  I have taken both tail light assemblies out so I can clean and polish the plastic lenses (and use care not to mar the finishes of the reflectors.  Eventually I may just buy the reproduction lenses and reflectors and change the bezels as well...but that will be down the road (I have "bigger fish to fry" at this point)>  :)

Best Regards,

J. P. Mose
1968 250SL
Best Regards,

J. P. Mose
1968 250SL
1970 280SE 3.5 Cabriolet
1987 560SL

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2006, 22:30:20 »
quote:
Originally posted by JPMOSE

I drained the fuel tank today...there was some sand like sediment but looking into the tank through the sender unit hole did not reveal any tank rust.  Is it normal to have some sediment w/o tank rust?
I would think it's not normal.  If you're draining the tank, you might as well try to clean it some.  Do a search for "fuel tank tour" for detailed help.  You'll want to inspect/clean/change all three filters (in-tank, in-pump, main filter).  Don't let fuel system rust cause you future troubles.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

George Davis

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2006, 22:41:05 »
With respect to Rodd, but I think some sediment in a fuel tank is pretty normal.  I haven't been into a huge number of fuel tanks, but the few I've been into have all had a bit of sediment even if otherwise in fine, servicable condition.  I don't think it indicates a problem.

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2006, 23:24:29 »
George,
I've not been in more than one, but where would the sediment come from?  I can't think of any other source, but I'm no master mechanic either.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

George Davis

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2006, 22:15:01 »
Rodd,

I don't know where fuel tank sediment comes from.  Maybe minor rusting in the tank?  Possibly from the fuel tanks at the gas stations, too, who knows what was in the bottom of those old tanks in the '60s and '70s.

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual