Author Topic: Help needed to disassemble seats  (Read 3847 times)

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
Help needed to disassemble seats
« on: February 25, 2006, 15:06:30 »
Hello all,
I need some help getting the seats (late 230SL) disassembled and the chrome trim, lever and tilt adjustment knob removed. Seats are out but what's next, where does one start?
My plan is to install headrests (have all the parts needed) and to reupholster.
Thanks!

Alfred
1966 blue 230SL automatic
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

enochbell

Re: Help needed to disassemble seats
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 15:26:55 »
Alfred,

This is fairly straightforward.  First remove the recline adjusting knob, it has one keeper screw you can access by carefully prying off the plastic center insert.  All of the other hardware is hidden behind the chrome covers.  These covers are held on by 4 (I think) tabs that are crimped around the L-shaped brackets.  Be very careful in opening these tabs, I use a long thin screwdriver to "unbend" them from the inside face of the bracket.  Just be careful as the tabs can break off.  You can actually just unbend the ones on the lower section of the L and then pop/slide the chrome off by moving it upwards.  Once the chrome is off you will see the other screws that need to be removed.

Hope that helps, let us know how the recovering works out.

'64 230sl, fully sorted out...ooops, spoke too soon

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2006, 17:30:22 »
quote:
Originally posted by enochbell

Alfred,
This is fairly straightforward.  First remove the recline adjusting knob, it has one keeper screw you can access by carefully prying off the plastic center insert. .....

Thanks, that's what I needed to know.

Alfred
Alfred

Douglas

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2006, 18:54:17 »
The circular cover for the recliner knob is removed by popping it off from the backside. You have to feel around the backside of the cover and look for a hole using an alley key. Do not try to remove the cover from the front. You'll gouge the edge.

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 22:15:09 »
quote:
Originally posted by Douglas

The circular cover for the recliner knob is removed by popping it off from the backside. You have to feel around the backside of the cover and look for a hole using an alley key. Do not try to remove the cover from the front. You'll gouge the edge.

Douglas,
I tried your method but the part interior to the chrom ring broke out leaving the chrome ring and the outer rim stuck in the wheel. Perhaps the cover was already damaged since it was badly scratched on the outside; so, no harm done since I wanted to replace it anyway.
Curiously, however, the wheel on the other seat has a small slit and I could easily remove the cover with a large paper clip.

Enochbell,
my chrome trim has 1 tab and 2 slots that fit over a plastic tab on the L-bracket. It was easy to lift the chrome piece over the palstic tab with a screwdriver as you suggested. Below is a picture of the tab and the wheel slit in case someone else needs to do this.

Thank you both for your help!

Download Attachment: Seat Trim.jpg
34.11 KB

Alfred
Alfred

enochbell

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 12:08:07 »
Alfred,

Glad it is working, interesting that your '66 has a different (and improved) chrome attachment than my '64.  Now THERE'S a model change that not even the experts would have known about.

Best,

g

'64 230sl, fully sorted out...ooops, spoke too soon