Author Topic: Temperature sending unit repair shop in US?  (Read 3007 times)

Allen F

Temperature sending unit repair shop in US?
« on: March 22, 2006, 22:29:59 »
Hi Folks,

I saw some discussion about some possible sources for a shop that can fix the temperature sending unit and guages.  Does anyone have a recomendation?  My tube was disconnected when the engine was removed and I guess it can be recharged?

Any help is appreciated.

Allen Frechette

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Re: Temperature sending unit repair shop in US?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 18:38:49 »
Hello Allen,
I believe Palo Alto Speedometer in Palo Alto Ca. repairs these and other gauges. They are very familiar with Mercedes gauges. They are not inexpensive, so check on the best price you can find on a new one first. MB dealers do not charge shipping for ordering parts in, if you pick up the parts, and some dealers offer good discounts to club members and vintage mercedes owners. So don't automatically rule out the Mercedes  dealers.
check with Caliber Motors in CA. Always have a part number available if possible to make it easy for the parts guy. I am sure there are many other gauge restoration shops around. You may find a better deal if you do a little research.

K&K Manufacturing in Michigan has a nice on line catalog with MB part numbers if you do not have a dealer's parts book.

Some contributors to this site like Dan Caron also sells parts and deserve the business for their contributions of information and years of experienc to this site.

Many  of the big aftermarket suppliers are simply ordering some parts from the dealer at their discount and turn around and sell them at list to the customer. After shipping is added The customer may have been better off buying directly from a delaer who gives a discount on parts.

Certain items will be priced better at different suppliers. Doing a little research will pay off!

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

glennard

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 09:29:44 »
Allen, Try any old junk yard.  Carefully remove the filled thermal system in toto. Don't twist the capillary tube or--- bye bye!  '60 MBs had them.

Allen F

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 13:43:00 »
Thanks for the feedback.  By the way, I called the MB Classics line (our local MB dealer send you there now when you ask for parts on anything older than 20 years) and they told me they only had complete temp guage assemblies calibrated in "Centigrade" now, as they are officially out of "F" versions.  

glennard

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2006, 00:19:00 »
Did you ever get a temp gage.  Might have one in degrees F.