Author Topic: Buy A Pagoda On Ebay???  (Read 7092 times)

n/a

Buy A Pagoda On Ebay???
« on: April 26, 2006, 18:18:22 »
Gentlemen (And Ladies);
I guess we all surf the web in our spare time once in awhile and looking at other Pagoda's on ebay is one of the pastimes. My question is, after having only 50-50 luck with wanna-be entrepreneurs, is why would anyone buy a car sight unseen on ebay? 10 years ago if a bank were presented with a business plan that cars could sell in this fashion, the result would be astonishment. I have considered buying a car, but only a local ebay listing where I could inspect it...the one such time, the car was vastly different than advertised.
If you have bought on ebay, how was your experience? How did you protect yourself? Were you disappointed? Any Pagoda puchases out there?
Interested in knowing and sharing to protect our fellow members.
Regards,
Joe
 :|

zanone

Re: Buy A Pagoda On Ebay???
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 18:45:03 »
I've purchased two #2 cars on eBay in the mid teens that were good cars but needed work, one more than another. Now it seems the #2 cars on Ebay are priced and sometimes being sold in the mid to high $20Ks. That's great for our values. Maybe these Ebay sellers have seen the few cars approaching #1 condition selling for mid $30Ks and up so they feel their cars should sell for a few thousand less. I thought a #2 car would sell for half or at least two thirds the price of one near a #1 condition. Amy I wrong?

lurtch

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Santa Rosa
  • " ICON 66 "
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 21:28:29 »
Hello Joe - - In Aug of 2004 I purchased a 230SL that was listed on ebay.  As you might expect, there were "some problems" with the car but I got it for a ROCK BOTTOM price. There were some outright lies in the vehicle description paragraph (there always will be). Since I needed to get in at the bottom of the value curve  I was very satisfied with the transaction. I was lucky and fortunate. I will say that in the succeeding two years of watching them on ebay, there has been ONLY ONE that was  undefiled and appeared to be in the same  price/condition as the one I got. It is my observation that  "Entry Level" unrestored Pagodas are very few and far between.

I did have a personal friend of high integrity visit with the owner and take numerous hi-res photos for me to examine. This third party involvement was (or is) absolutely essential to avoid getting screwed big-time. By being able to do it this way I was able to get partial assurance about how high I ought to continue  bidding.

Be patient and tenacious - - Larry in CA

Larry Hemstreet  in  N. Cal.

1966  230SL  (restored) Met. Anthracite w/ Maroon leather
1981  300TD-T (Concours condition, 86K, GETRAG 5sp.)
1982  300TD-T (parted out)
1986  560SEC (totaled)
1991  300TE (gifted)
1998  E320 (sold)
2004  E320 wagon (gifted)
2008  CLK550 Cabriolet

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 22:44:27 »
Several have reported having bought on Ebay and being satisfied about the transaction. A friend of mine bought a 107 chassis SL on Ebay in the US last year, all the way from The Netherlands, and did a very good deal, the car was everything it was held out to be. So it can work. Obviously there are also plenty of negative examples. I don't think the buyer protection Ebay offers adds up to much.

Cees ("Case") Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

pablo_o2

• Senior
  • Belgium, Flanders, Zoersel
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 02:39:48 »
Me too bought an SL280 on Ebay but not from a dealer. It was a person in Connecticut who advertised the car as reliable but used. There were several pics but as you all know those are never close-up shots and are always taken from the best angle.I did have contact with the seller through Email so he was not fake and he seemed reliable to me. Always remember, I had to buy the car without inspecting it! A big risk I know. Anyway I had the winning bid so now I had to arrange transport to Belgium.I used DAS shipping because they also arranged pick up from the sellers addres to the port of departure. The original title was send over with fedex. It all turned out very well but nevertheless, untill the car was picked up at my port, I assure You, I was very worried and sometimes couldn't sleep at night due to stress. One has to pay the car and transportation in advance and there are so many things that can go wrong that now I wouldn't do it again. I was lucky that time. Never push your luck. In general the car was as advertised allthough some minor details were not mentioned (spare tire was missing,etc)BUT the car started well and I drove it home about 30 miles further without any problem.Money transfer went from bank to bank so I had an official prove. Also the fact that I had the personal Email addres from the seller gave me trust.
Next time I would fly over and arrange transport from the US

Paul Haems
'68 280SL

jimj

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 05:57:17 »
I bought one sight unseen last year on EBAY, after work interferred with my plans to inspect the car, and I made a mistake.  The car had been represented as "completely restored", and the pictures were flattering.  But a combinations of things, (one being my lack of knowledge of these cars and another being my wife's pending birthday) led me to make the purchase.  This was from a new car/used car dealer, and I really do know better.

Car is painted the wrong color. Someone did a good job on the jambs and other areas you look for repaints, but they forgot to do the dash. The engine compartment and most things in it was also spray bombed black, and it also had some severe fuel systems problems.  Tank had to be be removed, cleaned, re-sealed, because there was a lot of crud hiding in there. The fuel pump was past rebuilding because of the damage and also had to be replaced, and the front subframe mounts were toast as well.  I also have some floor pan work that needs to be done.  On the positive side, the  mechanicals are pretty fresh, soft top is new, interior is new, tires and brakes are new.

Dealer paid for the new fuel pump, but I had to eat the other costs.  But car is slowly being sorted out and it is a great looking car, and unlike most of the other cars in my life, this one might actually be an enjoyable investment.

keesing

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006, 07:55:20 »
Buyer Beware... this old saying rings true, whether you buy on eBay or from a local individual or dealer! You NEED TO INSPECT THE CAR! I once bought a relatively new car from a local dealer - It was horrible and they offered NO remedies - I took a soaking! I recently have purchased two (2) Pagodas on eBay (inspected both) one deal was perfect, got one better than what I paid! The other (more expensive, has been alot of headaches and $$$ to get right, but, everything that was wrong was as much a surprise to the seller as it was to me! Previous owner had smoked him. He has agreed to assist financially in the repairs and all is well! As I said, I had inspected the car, and failed to go deep enough - would have been the same had it been down the block instead of across the country! It's up to the buyer to check everything out - location is just the time and expense of doing it! Both buys were contingent on my inspection! Although I have spent a bit more than planned, I am satisfied and would likely do it again!

1967 250SL Signal Red
1969 280SL "Tweety Bird Yellow"
1987 260E Charcoal

norton

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2006, 08:33:47 »
I’ve “won” three cars on ebay in the last couple of years (no Pagodas), And  after paying for a inspection on one, and flying out to look at the other two I ended up owning only one car.  The condition of the two I didn’t follow thru on was grossly overstated by the sellers.  I never sent a deposit on any of these cars, but made arrangements with the sellers before I bid that I would be there to look at the car within a week of the end of the auction with cash in my pocket, but if the car was not as described, I was not buying.

Mike Halleck
Chesterfield Mi
71 280SL
68 250SL (parts car)
94 E320 Coupe

Douglas

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2006, 08:39:30 »
Mike,

Just out of curiosity, dId the cars you turned down re-appear on ebay and eventually sell? Also, did the seller describe the car more accurately in subsequent auctions?

Douglas Kim
New York
USA

norton

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2006, 08:47:44 »
Yes both cars turned up again on ebay, Both with the same descriptions as when I bid. One, a 94 E320 coupe sold for about 2 grand less than what I had bid, the other a 1970 280SE coupe never made reserve.
   The 94 coupe, described as excellent condition, no hit, OG. Paint, everything works, turned out to be an unloved beat up old used car that at one time had been side swiped and poorly repaired, had cracked leather, nonworking AC and a year old oil change sticker that showed 10,000 miles more than the dealer stated in his ebay description. (Mileage on the sticker was also higher than the carfax report).  The 70 coupe listed as restored was just a mess, with a cheap local body shop paint job over lots of bondo, poor interior,bad chrome and a noisy engine.

Mike Halleck
Chesterfield Mi
71 280SL
68 250SL (parts car)
94 E320 Coupe
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 09:25:59 by norton »

Douglas

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2006, 10:16:46 »
Mike,

Doesn't surprise me. I'll tell you this about ebay auctions -- those rare examples of Pagodas that are solid #2 cars are often a bargain.

From the sellers' perspective, ebay seems to be a better market for middle-of-the-road Pagodas. From the buyers' perspective, it's a better market for the really high-end examples. I've seen cars go for $40K that are worth far more. The advantage to the seller, of course, is that it can be a fast sale.

On another note, I'd like to know what became of that signal red car in TX that was on ebay for so long last year. I'm talking about the one owned by the enthusiast that had a sunroof in the hardtop. Was it as good as it seemed? Is the buyer in this forum?

Douglas Kim
New York
USA

n/a

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2006, 10:42:25 »
My purchase was a 280sl that didn't meet reserve and I negotiated a price with the seller off ebay.  I inspected the car prior to purchase, and it was a high teens car value wise but I wound up paying a bit more because I had flown down to look at the car and fell in love with it!  I would caution anyone to beware when you hear "selling the car for a friend", as was the case here.  This gives license to the seller to give you the used car dealer act and in my case the car was represented as low miles by the seller, when I met the owner the documentation showing past repairs was "lost" so there was no proof of miles.  Overall, I am happy with the car and the color combo was one of the few that I wanted (black/burgundy).

Mike Webster

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2006, 11:25:25 »
I bought my car last year for $43k through Roy Spencers webstie. I have spent another $10k in mechanical & body fixes identified mostly by members of this group(thanks scholars),and about to spend around $4-5k to install power steering. I bought a good car off a reputable website, and I know all the work performed to date is correct because parts were purchased from/work performed by qualified
suppliers/mechanics identified in this forum. As a rookie, I need to put my trust (i.e. money) with people who love these cars as well as sell and service them.

Mike in Detroit
1966 230sl silver/red

ChrisInNashville

• Silver
  • USA, TN, Nashville
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2006, 19:27:11 »
I found my car on ebay, cut the deal on the phone, drove 200 miles with an inspector, renegotiated the price down 15% based on the inspection, and spontaneously drove my pagoda home (in 95 degree heat with no A/C).

I'm a big fan of ebay...but not for expensive purchases.   However, it is an outstanding marketplace to allow buyer and seller to meet.
‘69 280 SL
‘24 GLE450e
Tennessee, USA

psmith

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2006, 23:24:04 »
Hey Mike,

Was that Allen Baden's car?

Pete S.

Mike Webster

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2006, 08:07:32 »
Hi Pete,

It is Allen's old car, and I do love it. Hope all is well in San Jose.

Mike

Abbas

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2006, 10:55:26 »
My story is the strangest one and longest.

Last fall I decided start my Pagoda business. While I was browsing eBay I saw a red 250SL which was sold for $13,000. I called Tom up in NC and asked him about his car. He mentioned that he had three other Pagodas for sale. I told him to send me their pictures and I shall try my best to sell them here in Dubai - UAE.

After months of trying to do so while looking at the pics of the three cars every day I ended up buying one of them. I said to myself lets give it a try - the worst thing that would happens is that I shall end up with the car myself - and the worst thing happened! Even my wife and children liked the car when it arrived and we are a happy family now!

Actually, I wired the money to Tom and booked a transport company to transport it to NY and then a shipping company to ship it from NY to Dubai and went to my pilgramage - Hajj in Mecca. When I came back Al Hamdullelah (thank God( the car was on its way. When the car arrived it was much more than what I have expected Tom was honest. He is now my best frined in US - it turned we have many things in common.

Few weeks a go I bought my second Pagoda from eBay from a seller in NC as well and asked Tom to inspect it. It was the same Ivory color and blue interior as the first one. Now, Inshallah (if God permits) -planning on shipping this car to Beirut for my brother.

Yes eBay works but like all things you need to be careful, take your time and work with honest people and along the way make it a nice fun experience overall.

Abbas

Check the pics of my car in Dubai on Frappr
http://www.frappr.com/?a=viewphoto&id=711832&pid=1685806&myphotos=1

Download Attachment: Lovely Pagoda in Dubai.jpg
67.53 KB

280SL W113 1969 Ivory
E280 W124 1995 Silver

zanone

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2006, 12:31:34 »
Seeing any Ebay car is well worth the time and expense. I would have never heard about the rust that the seller said he didn't know about. He emailed the repair cost but if the rust is in the rockers it would be more for sure. I want a 71 silver 113 and this car had been restored mechanically and drove fine but the rust killed the deal on this one.
http://24.56.70.142/~zanone/lapagoda/lapagoda_index.html

France

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • Austria, Vorarlberg, Schruns
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2006, 08:22:36 »
Hi Guys,

Well, my experience was a lot like Abbas'.  Allah was indeed with me, because I could actually talk to the seller on the phone, and within a couple of minutes I knew he was "for real."  He told no lies, made no exaggerations.  He had over 3000 sales with 99.9% good feedback.  Believe it or not, I did not inspect her.  However, I bought in confidence because My Lord and Master is a crack mechanic--do not try this at home.

Please see my story in last year's Pagoda World.  Carling is a lovely #2 car; only minor problems (in four years, the only repairs were new shifter bushings and replacement of worn fuel line).  Her repair records were accurate; many new elements were included.  A/C blows at 33 degrees!  She gives me and her spectators a real thrill every time I drive her.  

Having said that, if I did it again I would not tempt fate.  Best to inspect it yourself.  I got very, very lucky.  Anyone believe in lucky stars?

Trice
1968 280SL US, signal red/bl leather, auto, kinder
Sarasota FL; Alsace France
There's two theories to arguin' with a woman.  Neither one works.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 02:10:14 by France »
Trice
1968 280SL US, signal red/bl leather, auto, kinder seat
Austrian Alps
Think of your Pagoda as a woman with a past...