Author Topic: Defrost lever  (Read 2478 times)

glcg123

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Defrost lever
« on: April 14, 2006, 20:55:29 »
I have been fortunate to have the original heater levers on my 1965 2230SL. All worked freely with the exception of the top right lever which controls thr defrost flap. This was always a little sticky (did not travel all the way, seemd to be binding) and I made a point of moving it periodically so it would not seize up.

Today I took it out of winter storage and was moving the levers. The top right lever became very free and it appears that the cable has popped off the lever control. Either that or it has broken in back. If so, can the unit be repaired/reattached by removing the speaker grill and speaker?

I have found the article on the complete overhaul of the levers but only need to repair the upper right. Does the flap need to be adjusted? Do you need to take the heater box assemly apart to do this?

George

1965 230SL

bpossel

Re: Defrost lever
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 04:33:19 »
Hi George,

I had to also replace this cable completely.  Since the end of the cable that controls the air distribution is inside the box itself, you will need to remove the air distribution box completely.  This is the box that sits below the dash and in-between the drivers and pass sides, on the trans hump.  To do this job, I had to remove the control levers (and all other items that were in the way, radio, ect.)  In my case, I also had to drop the air-conditioning unit out in order to get to the distribution box.  The distribution box is held in place with, if I remember correctly, 4 bolts, which also hold the air vent channels in place.  The hardest bolt to remove was the one on the drivers side.  You will have to reach up under the dash and go by “feel”, since this bolt will not be visible.

Once the box is out, it’s a good idea to clean it up and replace the old foam insulation.  With new insulation, you will get improved air flow to the windows and the air vents.  This is a job that will require patience and one that is best to simply … take your time…  In the end, you’ll be happy with the results.

Note: if your cable broke, you will need to buy a new one.  The end that connects inside the air distribution box has a ring connection on that end.  It connects to a “stub” on the inside of the box.

Good Luck!
Bob

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320

glcg123

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Re: Defrost lever
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 08:01:34 »
I was afraid that I would have to take it all apart. I will leave it till fall as mine is a summer driver only. Two questions, with the speaker cover removed can you see the top right defrost connection and if so is the nut that holds the cable to the lever accessible from the top?

George

1965 230SL