Author Topic: Help with parts removal.  (Read 2832 times)

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
Help with parts removal.
« on: April 22, 2006, 20:59:38 »
The car is stripped and almost ready to go to the painter but I have problems removing some parts.
1. I want to remove the right trunk panel but am afraid of bending or breaking the vent lines that are attached to the panel. I can get the can loose and the top part of the 3 lines but then there is a clip that I don't know how to remove or pry away. (see picture).
2. In front or the radiator are two fin grills for protection and I need to replace the left one. I was able to remove the top hex screws and the outside lower ones but cannot get at one in the middle. Do I need to remove the radiator to get at that screw?  :(  
3. Does the wind shield (screen) need to come out first to remove the chrome trim on the pillars and across the top?
Thanks for your help!
Download Attachment: VentTubes.jpg
21.86 KB
Download Attachment: RadiatorGrill.jpg
35.94 KB

Alfred
1966 blue 230SL automatic
« Last Edit: April 22, 2006, 21:00:52 by 66andBlue »
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
Re: Help with parts removal.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 07:14:08 »
1. I believe the clip you reference is the flat spring metal one a the bottom.  It is bent to shape from a single piece and the ends are bent outward to clip onto the pressedboard fender liner.  You can pry it inward or squeeze it to pop one end loose. It is a bugger. The liner will probably be damaged a bit removing it but when you reinstall, it will cover the scraping and it's behind the spare anyway.  This is one of the few jobs on the car that relies on brute force.

2. Short of magic, I don't think there is any choice but to remove the radiator to get that screw.  You can't even reach it with a right angle driver.  If you're painting the car anyway, go ahead and pull the radiator and paint it (or replace it).  It will help the appearance.

3. There's a recent post on those very chrome pillars.  Do a search and see if there is enough there to help.

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

isofast

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 11:41:36 »
I think you can try to remove air cleaner pot to access that grill mount. Also that grill is mallable and can be made almost new again with some of the right dinging spoons duck bill pliers and tools.

Regarding vapor tank lines.
The cardboard is easy to damage take your time.

Good luck
Ernie

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 17:46:26 »
Ernie and Ray,
Taking the air cleaner pot off and using my neighbor's 6mm ratchet spanner did the trick for the right grill. Fortunately the left one is still OK, so for now the radiator stays in place  :) .
And a push  from the side with a wide blade screwdriver released the clip holding the vent lines.
So, 2-for 2, not a bad Sunday :D  - but fur sure your suggestions made the difference, thanks again!

Alfred
1966 blue 230SL automatic
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)