Author Topic: Trick Shift for transmission?  (Read 3348 times)

ChrisInNashville

• Silver
  • USA, TN, Nashville
Trick Shift for transmission?
« on: April 24, 2006, 19:22:06 »
I've searched but can't find any previous postings on this stuff.

We're doing so many posts on sluggish and weak transmission performance.   One of my neighbors has a '64 Corvette Convertible that he's owned for 43 years...and he recommends bleeding one quart of transmission fluid and replacing it with a quart of "Trick Shift";  the guy knows cars with the 'vette and a racing porsche...plus he's a chemist to boot...he's got credibility, but I trust this forum more...

Website says that "B&M Trick Shift Performance automatic transmission fluid is the easiest way to firm up your tranmission's performance."

The name "Trick Shift" scares me...has anyone had experience with this stuff?
‘69 280 SL
‘24 GLE450e
Tennessee, USA

George Davis

Re: Trick Shift for transmission?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 18:56:50 »
Christietz,

This stuff is probably not needed in Pagoda automatics which shift rather firmly to begin with, as opposed to most other automatics.

Automatics have several clutches that run in ATF; these clutches are engaged by hydraulic pressure to shift.  Most automatics have special circuits in the hydraulic system that make pressure build somewhat slowly when the transmission shifts.  This causes gradual, "soft" engagement of each gear.  There are two ways to firm up the shifts: install a "shift kit" which modifies the hydraulic action (and is very noticable), or put in an ATF that has friction modifiers to make the clutches engage a bit faster.  Since Pagodas shift firmly to begin with, I'd say it isn't needed and might not make a difference.  My beater '73 Chevy has a shift kit, and it feels like the one Pagoda auto I've ever driven (James Huber's).

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 19:03:09 »
So GD, you are sayin' my car shifts like a beater '73 Chevy, eh? Why I oughtta...  ;)

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

George Davis

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 10:29:01 »
Sorry James, didn't mean it that way!  What I meant was that it takes s shift kit to make the Chevy trans shift firmly like a Pagoda, or that the Pagoda trans already shifts firmly whereas the stock Chevy doesn't, or, or... oh, never mind...  if you drive Guzzi up here you can take a free swing at me :x .

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual

TheEngineer

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, West Seattle, WA
  • '69 280SL,Signal Red,
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 10:49:38 »
I'd like to jump in here because I have knocked the MB automatic: When I got my car, my automatic shifted rough from 2nd to 3rd, on the upshift only and only when hot. When cold, the shift was always very smooooth. (Yes, I'm picky). Nobody had an explanation. When I drove cars of aquaintances, they shifted worse. I replaced the filter and the fluid and adjusted the modulator pressure to specs: No change. In the end, what did it, is driving the car often. Previous owners did not drive the car much, since 1991, from where I have documentatiion, the car was only driven a few hundred miles. It was used mostly for show and transported in a trailer. The last owner only drove it to the golf course a few times. Now my transmission appears to shift smooth all the time. Mostly, I forget it is shifting. I have no more complaints. Only, that it really should have a torque converter. That would give me about twice the torque from standstill. Why, even my Case has a torque converter!
'69 280SL,Signal Red, 09 cam, License BB-59U
'67 230SL, 113042-10-017463 (sld)
'50 Jaguar Roadster XK120, #670.318 (sld)
tired engineer, West-Seattle,WA

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 11:37:58 »
Well George, I think I remember looking through your rear-view mirror as you experienced minor whiplash. I should have given you a primer (as opposed to primer) on how best to work through the gears. With my car, there really is some technique required to have it shift "like buttah". I have had filter and fluid changed -- but I don't think the mechanic messed with the modulater thingy. Maybe next time.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

ChrisInNashville

• Silver
  • USA, TN, Nashville
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006, 19:32:38 »
engineer, ironically, my did better a month ago when it had not been out much during the winter...now that I'm driving more, performance is worse.

As for the trick shift, I'm convinced that it's not worth the effort.   Thanks for the feedback.

Now, my friend with the 'vette said I should have the bands adjusted...I'm not familiar with transmissions, I thought they had gears not bands.  uh?
‘69 280 SL
‘24 GLE450e
Tennessee, USA