Author Topic: Soft Top to Window Fit  (Read 3164 times)

bpossel

Soft Top to Window Fit
« on: April 28, 2006, 06:18:26 »
Since I have owned my 113, I have struggled to adjust the soft top to window fit.  Even with the top and windows all lined up, I have never been able to open and close my doors with the windows fully rolled up.  They always had some binding issue with the rubber weather stripping.

Does anyone else have a similar issue?

Well, problem solved!  Last night I replaced the rubber weather stripping that attaches to the soft top, the stripping that touches the windows on the top and side.  I replaced with new MB stuff.  Looks like what a previous owner installed was some after-market stuff.  The after-market stuff had a center channel and the rubber on both sides of the channel was even.  The new MB OE stuff has the inner side larger than the outer side.  New MB OE rubber is very hard and looks very durable.  The after-market stuff was very weak and clearly not the right stuff when you compare to the new MB OE rubber. Note: I replaced the seal on the windshield post last year with new MB OE rubber.  Similar issue as compared to the after-market stuff.

Now I can open and close my doors with the top up and the windows rolled up....

Anyway, thought that I would share this one....  in case anyone else is stuggling with a nice fit with their windows and the soft top...

Have a nice weekend!
Bob

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 06:21:24 by bpossel »

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Re: Soft Top to Window Fit
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 14:11:48 »
A good fit here is important, if only to keep wind noise down. I replaced my windshield-post stripping a couple of years ago and it made all the difference. Of course, the other big factor here is the tension of that steel wire that runs along the top of the glass / bottom of the softtop.

Cees ("Case") Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

tdun824259

• Regular
  • USA, NE, Grand Island
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 18:51:49 »
Cees and Bob,

I agree with Cees.  That little steel cable is crucial.  There must be a fine line between a nice tight cable and its breaking point.  I've gone through two of them now in an attempt to tighten the seal.  Is there a secret to creating a tight seal without reaching the breaking point?

Thanks

Tim Dunagan
1971 280 SL

bpossel

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2006, 05:16:27 »
Hi Tim.

I cant answer your question.  I removed my old canvas and then took many days to clean and adjust my frame while waiting on delivery of my new canvas.  I then had my new canvas (and wire) installed by a professional installer here in Memphis. Fit is nice & tight.
Regards,
Bob

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320
« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 05:16:45 by bpossel »