Author Topic: I'm Back!...with a funny story and dilemma  (Read 7092 times)

ChrisInNashville

• Silver
  • USA, TN, Nashville
I'm Back!...with a funny story and dilemma
« on: April 22, 2006, 16:18:09 »
After a hiatus due to family health issues, I've now settled into a routine owning two homes, living in and commuting between two cities, and having survived a cold winter.  But now I'm back on line with a funny story.

I was driving my pagoda from Home #1 to Home #2, so I can work on it weeknights after work.   Driving the 120 miles from Newburgh Indiana to Bloomington Indiana (site of the famous "Breaking Away" movie prominently featuring our pagoda)...I stopped in Loogootee Indiana (yes, I spelled it correctly) for a pit stop.    As usual, I placed the gas cap on the pump...which my wife informs me is "a mistake".

While making the glorious trek through the Hoosier National Forest, I notice that my mileage stinks....30 miles later, my wife flags me down to say fuel is pouring out...I left the gas cap in Loogootee!   I just paid $3.50/gallon for that gas and lost 1/2 tank in 70 miles!

Anyway, after dropping the car off at Home #2, I was able to retrieve the gas cap...but the woman at the gas station couldn't understand how I could have made the trip on my "MOTORCYCLE" with no gas cap!

So, here's my dilemma:   should I be concerned with debris in the fuel tank...I've had bad gas problems before and know how sensitive they are.   I drove about 70 miles with no cap.   Weather was clear...no extreme conditions of note.   Any thoughts?
‘69 280 SL
‘24 GLE450e
Tennessee, USA

George Davis

Re: I'm Back!...with a funny story and dilemma
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 22:27:07 »
I wouldn't worry about it.  Might have gotten a bit of dust in there, but nothing to worry about under the circumstances.

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 06:58:22 »
At a mere $3.50 a gallon on the way to much higher, it might be worth the $100 for a shiny chrome MB Locking cap to protect the investment.  Then when you unlock it, leave the key inserted when you put it on top of the pump.  That way you can't drive off without it.

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

ChrisInNashville

• Silver
  • USA, TN, Nashville
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 07:25:26 »
Thanks Raymond.   That's what I have...maybe it's time I start using it that way!  

At age 43, I barely remember the protective tactics of the 70's...but now gas is at the same inflation adjusted level as back then.
‘69 280 SL
‘24 GLE450e
Tennessee, USA

joelj

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 08:56:46 »
Though I have nerver left my gas cap, I'll do the key in the gas cap trick as well.

Like they say...youdo learn something new everyday :)

Many thanks

Joel

pferg

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 11:27:28 »
I would put in a can of BG44K. You can locate this product at http://www.bgprod.com/products/fuelair.html

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 12:33:24 »
Well, I learned a similar lesson about keeping the key in the lock --although a much harder way...

How do I put this... Ok, "this friend of mine" was filling up one day years ago. He figured the tank was full, jumped in, started the car, and proceeded to drive away... He then heard a loud kind of snap, and so he stopped. Getting out of the car, there was his gas cap on the top of the pump -- and there on the ground was the filler-hose sans the nozzle... The broken nozzle had fallen into the tank! It took a while, but the mechanics got it out...  :oops:  I, I mean, he now keeps the key the lock!

James
63 230SL
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 12:34:57 by J. Huber »
James
63 230SL

Bob G ✝︎

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 16:37:07 »
I got an extra new locking gas cap for such touring events. The orginal is going to be only for serious intentions with a clear brain only.
Should I make a mercedes-Benz decal that says " Nine dumcuff forgetinz petro cap "
I wonder how many locking gas caps Mercedes Sold  because of this?

Bob Geco
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 16:37:44 by Bob G »

ChrisInNashville

• Silver
  • USA, TN, Nashville
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2006, 19:26:41 »
Here's the sequel:   Today I figured out that I've had the gas cap key on the key ring for two years...jingling in my pocket...never thought of using it.   Ugh!
‘69 280 SL
‘24 GLE450e
Tennessee, USA

dcseidman

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2006, 21:14:47 »
Well.....I have ALWAYS kept the key for the gas cap on the same ring as the ignition key; I also put the cap on top of the fuel pump when re-tanking.  So, for 36 years, I've managed to get by with the same gas cap.  It is really hard to leave it behind when you cannot start the car without retrieving the key, and that is only possible when you lock the gas cap back on the car.  Sometimes the simplest solution is the best.

Happy Motoring.

David
1969 280SL

David
1969 280SL 4-spd

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2006, 11:49:15 »
Hello 000 471 20 30-admirers,

There is even a better idea for the gas cap:
While you hold the fuel filler gun with one hand, keep the ++ 105-Euros new shiny gas cap with the correct key number for your car in the other hand and don't put it anywhere else.

This way you make also sure that nobody "picks up" the cap from the pump as a kind of "souvenir" in an unseen moment.

Happy motoring!

Achim
(Magdeburg, Germany)
Achim
(Germany)

pferg

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2006, 14:03:34 »
Has anyone had the gas cap re-keyed?

n/a

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2006, 14:05:22 »
I wouldn't worry about it. Can pull the fine mesh filter fromt he bottom of the tank using the backside of a spark plug socket and that would have caught anything. As for BG44K: I blame it for releasing some sediment which plugged one of the oil passages in my head causing all kinds of havoc (the car stroked 8 miles after using BG44k). My opinion of the stuff is that unless you have a compelling reason, don't mess with it.

DavidAPease

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Chico
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2006, 14:51:10 »
Hi, Phillip,

> Has anyone had the gas cap re-keyed?

Yes, I have.  I had the correct style cap, but with the wrong key.  (In a 230SL, the gas key should be the same as the door key.)  My door and gas cap keys were not even from the same series (TA-xxx vs. TB-xxx), so the cap could not be rekeyed directly.  I eventually found a poor-quality cap with a TA series key, had its tumbler reworked to match my doors, then put that tumbler in my good cap.  A lot of work for a small annoyance, but that's the disease!

-David Pease
'66 French 230SL
-David Pease
 '66 230SL (Originally sold in Paris)

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2006, 20:50:20 »
quote:
Originally posted by DavidAPease

In a 230SL, the gas key should be the same as the door key.
I thought the gas key and glove box key were supposed to match?

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

DavidAPease

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Chico
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2006, 21:58:06 »
Rodd,

On our cars, the trunk key matches the glove box.  (So the valet/chauffeur can drive the car to the gas station and fill it up without going through your belongings. :)

-David Pease
'66 French 230SL
-David Pease
 '66 230SL (Originally sold in Paris)

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2006, 16:47:39 »
Is a locking oil filler cap available  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

naj