Author Topic: [Stupid] Condenser Question  (Read 8867 times)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
[Stupid] Condenser Question
« on: June 13, 2006, 08:09:21 »
Gents,

As I've never seen or had my car with the original points/condenser setup in my original -051 cast-iron distributor, going back to original is a bit harder then planned.

1)  Conflicting information on the proper condenser:  a 1.237.330.067 for about $3, or the .182 for $30+...which one is it? (n.b. is the latter condenser made by the same people who do the sun visors??)

2)  Bosch now lists the hot red coil as the standard (non-transistor) coil to have on this car...but the coil requires a 1.8 resistor.  Can't seem to find one.  Any ideas?  Yes, of course I can get 2 x .9 but that's messy.

3)  Because of these issues can someone give me the proper Bosch part number for the points?  I seem to have a set but want to make sure they are correct.

Last thing in the world I need with my car at the moment is incorrect "stock" parts while trying to correct ignition issues!!!  I've never had the points and condenser on it so I really don't know and you get some different answers depending on where you look for them!

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
Re: [Stupid] Condenser Question
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 08:42:46 »
Hi Mike. The 1.8 resistor is readily available from Ray at Bud's (as of a few months ago) I think Miller's as well.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

bayleif

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 08:59:08 »
Michael,
I just checked the Miller's East website. He describes three condensers: "All models cast iron distributor $7.00" "All models aluminum distributor $32.00" and "Late model 280SL $45.00". If it were me I'd go with the $7.00 choice. He also has the 1.8 ohm ballest resistor listed; I think it was $32.00.
Miller's East and West share a website but seem to be pretty much separate companies. They used to have different on line catalogs with different prices although I don't know if that's still the case. Anyway, I'm always careful to make sure I'm dealing with Miller's East, he's never steered me wrong.

Chuck Bartlett
1969 Signal Red 4 Speed

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 10:11:27 »
Just to add a little to Chuck's post: I have used Miller's "West" (in fact, before the advent of the web) and have always had good luck and good service. In general, I like their online catalog and cart option to get prices --- although I almost always call in my final orders.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

Ricardo

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 11:16:20 »
Michael
Just a little aside to share in your recent "breakdown" story.
I was in hot (90F),stop and go the other day, in the furthest of two left turn lanes on a 3 lane innercity thoroughfare when my 250SL with an 051 dist. and a cured no start problem, died as I coasted to the light and refused to start....I thought of you when I faced all the annoyed people behind me who now had to merge right to get around me.
After a nice chat with the lady in the next lane who said "My brother owns a garage about 6 blocks from here" Gee thanks! I proceded to push my car, hard right in front of the 4 lanes of now stopped traffic, down the crosswalk onto the cross street and a little down hill roll to the shade of a big old tree. I thanked the guy above for the down grade and the shade and pulled out my tool box. First thing to check was spark and when I opened the points with the ignition on, there was no spark. When I wiggled the coil to dist. lead I heard a spark. It was a crimped connector that had allowed the wire to work it's way out. I jammed it back in and the car started and I went on my way....happy to be out of trouble without a tow.
Your advice regarding crimped connectors was a point well taken, that day, but I'm still glad I don't have the Crane system anymore, as I might not have even checked for spark with it in there.
And at least I got a story out of it  :D
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 11:21:50 by Ricardo »

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 13:13:00 »
quote:
Because of these issues can someone give me the proper Bosch part number for the points? I seem to have a set but want to make sure they are correct.

051 Distributor:
Condenser: 1 237 330 067
1.8 Ohm Resistor: 0 227 901 014

naj

68 280SL
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 13:14:01 by naj »
68 280SL

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 13:23:41 »
Hey Naj, since you have the book open...(don't you?), how about points & condensor numbers for a VJUR 6 BR 49 distributor?

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 13:35:35 »
quote:
Hey Naj, since you have the book open...(don't you?),

No James, I now have the picture album open.
See fuel discussion.[:p]

naj

68 280SL
68 280SL

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2006, 13:50:42 »
Gotcha. Sorry I'm slow on the draw -- darn library patrons keep asking me reference questions here at the Reference desk. Go figure.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 14:19:56 »
James,

quote:
how about points & condensor numbers for a VJUR 6 BR 49 distributor?

From what I can make out, they are the same as an 046 distributor:

Condenser: Bosch 1 237 330 049  MB: 000 156 7101

naj

68 280SL
68 280SL

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2006, 14:24:04 »
Great Info, guys...after some sleuthing commensurate with Naj, the right part numbers came up.  When you own a car that had some changes mid year, and 2 different distributors, these issues arise.

Now for the REAL problem.

My car never had when I owned it, the condenser.  I located the condensers locally and they have the NEW Bosch part number 02006 which crosses to the one Naj supplied.  Problem is there is no mounting bracket on it.

Miller's tells me the original condenser had a welded on bracket, typical of Bosch condensers I remember from my VW and BMW days.  Then they eliminated it and there was a separate bracket from MB.  Now the condenser bracket is NLA, according to Miller's.  This should not be so difficult!

Anyone got a story here for me on why there are condensers with no way to mount them?  I have 2 new Bosch condensers and no way to mount them....

"Go back to points" they said, "and all will be well".  Well it's becoming increasingly difficult to do!

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Restored
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2006, 15:22:09 »
Thanks Naj. Mike, I just looked at my bracket, seems it could be fabricated easy enough (I know you are a stickler for the real McCoy but its just a thought). Used may be your next option?

PS my bracket looks to be screwed on

James
63 230SL
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 15:23:28 by J. Huber »
James
63 230SL

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2006, 17:27:54 »
quote:
Originally posted by J. Huber

Thanks Naj. Mike, I just looked at my bracket, seems it could be fabricated easy enough (I know you are a stickler for the real McCoy but its just a thought). Used may be your next option?

PS my bracket looks to be screwed on

James
63 230SL

Yes Jim, I'm a stickler for the real thing...but a used condenser?  It looks to me like these are electrolytic type which have a "shelf life" as well as a practical life; it isn't the kind of thing one buys used.  I think I need to find a used bracket though or somehow find one to copy or something.  Doesn't look at this point like I'm going to get much driving in this year, just getting all this stuff (and I'm not done yet clearly) has taken me about 5 weeks.

As a side note, when the restorer put my car back together 5 years ago I don't know what condenser he used, but the points fried in 30 miles (on a rainy night in November, of course) so you can see my reluctance to find a used condenser; that's what is supposed to protect the points.

Any mounting bracket ideas are welcome.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Restored
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2006, 20:27:45 »
Hey Michael. Of course I meant a used bracket! I think the condensers are easy to get. Mine came from a local import place I believe. No idea where to start for a used bracket -- maybe Dr. Dan?

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

Bob G ✝︎

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2006, 21:10:51 »
Michael:
You raised some valet questions about the 051 cast iron distributor that got me thinking. I had Dan rebuilt me a cast iron distributor 051 to replace the later distributor with the expensive condensor green wire for my 1968 280SL
For what ever reason my Father took out  the proper 051 distributor and replaced it with the later distributor minus the electronic ignition. On several attemps while driving the car it would quick and refuse to start like a stuburn mule. You let it cool down and it would start up. I new something was wrong upon futher inspection I found the coil to be the problem It looked like it came out of a salvage yard. The coil was the early one red top 250SL to early 280SL. once I got a new one everything fired up ok.
Now I have to figure out how he connected a later distributor to the car so I can go back to stock. Oh my father who is an engineer you would think he would use the proper hex bolt to secure the distributor but No!!!! try ajusting the timming and frying the back of you hands trying to turn a bolt that doesn't belong on the distributor.
By the way Michael I thought putting the after market electronic ignition was talked about as a good modification for reliability. Are the judges checking that closely now?
keep me informed on your distributor and condensor braket my rebuilt distributor is in the trunk of the SL at work I will have to take a peek and see if I have a bracket for the condensor as well.

Bob Geco
1968 280SL
1992 300-E sportline
1987 Ford Mustang 5.0. notchback
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 21:15:17 by Bob G »

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2006, 22:10:26 »
I'll take all the used 051 distributors I can get. They were used on about half the production of these cars so they're common but I'm pretty much out of them.

Getting ALL the ignition parts to match up as a complete set is the trick. Every engine runs a bit differently so you have to test everything to find the right timing, spark plugs and ignition settings.
I know a lot of you have electronic conversions and some of them work really well. There's a different learning curve for those systems as this is a modification to your original sytem that was never designed that way. Modern electronic systems rarely fail but then the WHOLE system is designed as one complete unit so they should work as intended.
 BTW, anyone priced the EZL box for a late model Benz these days? 3K is an average price. You can't rebuild them either. It's new or hard to find used.

Makes a $5.00 set of points seem pretty attractive, eh?

Dan Caron's
 SL Barn
benzbarn@ebtech.net
 slbarn.mbz.org
  1 877 661 6061
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2006, 06:33:29 »
Michael,
Should be able to get a second hand bracket from almost any old Bosch distributor or could fabricate one similar to the one on the right in the picture - or a copper 'P' clip from a diy store??

Download Attachment: CB02.JPG
27.95 KB

naj

68 280SL
68 280SL