Author Topic: Air-Conditioning Removal Questions  (Read 4772 times)

bpossel

Air-Conditioning Removal Questions
« on: November 08, 2005, 06:43:22 »
In order to replace my distribution box cable (mine was slightly bent, causing it to only slide 1/2 way) I had to remove the air-conditioning unit in the car.

I will probably leave it out since I really never use it.  I only used it on the way to Joe's this summer in order to keep the wife happy!  With it out of the car, it really gives alot more leg room, and I think it looks nicer..  My Frigking was a bit shody looking...

:?: Anyway..  a couple of questions:
1.  Should there be an under dash cover, under the glove box area, when there is no air installed?  With the air-cond unit removed, it is now all "open" under the glove box area.  If yes, where is a good source for this piece?
2. I also removed the air-cond drain hose, which was routed under the carpet, up by the pass side foot well.  Now there is a hole that is open in the floor pan.  Is there a "plug" available for this?  What have others done?  Rubber, plastic plug, or simply "patch the hole"?

Thanks!
Bob

bpossel
Memphis, TN.
1971 280SL
1997 E320
« Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 06:45:48 by bpossel »

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
Re: Air-Conditioning Removal Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 08:03:15 »
Bob,
These are the panels from a RHD car
http://www.sl113.org/forums/uploaded/naj/2004527181341_udash006.JPG
naj

65 230SL
68 280SL
68 280SL

bpossel

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 06:55:17 »
Thanks naj!

Another question for the group...

When I remove the rest of the air-conditioning pieces from the engine bay, is all that is needed is the different bracket which lowers the alternator to where the A/C compressor now sits?  I guess that I also need a different alternator belt since the position will be lower, different?

What else needs to be done, planned for?  Any other hardware?

Thank you!
Bob

bpossel
Memphis, TN.
1971 280SL
1997 E320

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 22:25:44 »
Hello Bob,
I believe the water pump pulley is different (having more slots for belts).  Some bolts and a manifold stud that hold the AC bracket on the engine will be too long, so you will need the shorter ones used on the non AC cars.

Yes the AC does make things much more difficult to work on, however it does increase the market value of your car.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

bpossel

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2005, 07:24:59 »
Hi Joe and others!
Thanks for your comments on my a/c removal questions.  I would not have thought about needing the different bolts, etc...
Regards,
Bob

bpossel
Memphis, TN.
1971 280SL
1997 E320

blairwag

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2005, 23:27:57 »
Hi Bob,
I replied to your email, then looked for this post to repeat the same info. Reading some of these posts, I wanted to make a couple of other points, too.
First, I did remove my Frigiking A/C from my 1971 280SL back in May 2004, with the help from the folks in this group.

I replaced the old "elephant" A/C and alternator bracket (as Cees called it) with a MUCH smaller alternator only bracket.

The original bolts were all the correct length, so no replacement bolts were needed.
The original drive pulley was also just fine, and need not be replaced.
The drive belt does of course have to be replaced with a smaller diameter v-belt.

The biggest obstacke in taking the old bracket out was reaching one bolt which was behind the water pump assembly. This one bolt alone required removal of the engine hood/bonnet, air cleaner, fan shroud, radiator, fan clutch assembly, and the water pump and water pumpt housing. Now, I was battling a coolant leak at the time, so I had to get there anyway.

Just remember, if you have to take the water pump housing off the block, - remember to treat the threads of all the bolts with gasket sealer, as the bolt holes enter the cooling water jacket in the block.

Other than that, it was a straight forward job, just a LOT more work than I expected. I was please with the appearance of the cabin without the A/C, and I was pleased with the additional space in the engine compartment. That old nasty beast of an A/C compressor weighed a ton!

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William Blair Wagner: blairwag@earthlink.net
Education is not always knowing the answer,
...but rather knowing where to look for it!
1971 280SL US Automatic

blairwag

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2005, 23:30:16 »
BTW, I too have the whole area above the passenger footwell open.  Does anyone know where I can get the under dash cover?  Does it reduce the road noise that enters?

Oh, yeah, also, that drain hose.  Hee, hee hee. I just cut the hose down at the floor (on the inside) and left the small portion of hose in the floor board. Then I filled the hose with liquid weather stripping adhesive. The carpet covers it fine. You'd never know it was there. ;)

--
William Blair Wagner: blairwag@earthlink.net
Education is not always knowing the answer,
...but rather knowing where to look for it!
1971 280SL US Automatic

TA250SL

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2005, 00:45:28 »
Try www.kkmfg.com

They were selling them 2 years ago.  I believe they are only available in black.

Tom
Early 1967 250SL
Euro version    
Los Angeles

ChrisInNashville

• Silver
  • USA, TN, Nashville
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2006, 17:33:35 »
Let me "blow the dust" off this old post with a couple of added questions...

Like Bob, I don't really use mine and am considering removing it.   I'd leave it alone except, I have to replace my antenna and can't access the antenna with the A/C unit in place (unless someone has ideas...).

So, with this in mind:
a) how long would it take to remove the unit with the expectation of simply replacing the antenna
b) if out...should I keep it out or replace it.   Aesthetically, I'm not certain if I'd be pleased with it...

I welcome your insight,

Chris
‘69 280 SL
‘24 GLE450e
Tennessee, USA

bpossel

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2006, 18:25:36 »
Hi Chris,

I think you can replace the antenna by simply removing the glove box and reaching into the side cavity.

BTW...  I don't miss my A/C at all.  I like the way the car looks w/o it and it so much easier working in the engine bay area.  I did clean and box up all of the A/C pieces.  It will stay with the car for a future owner.

Bob

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 11:52:40 by bpossel »

ChrisInNashville

• Silver
  • USA, TN, Nashville
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2006, 19:53:22 »
Bob,

Thanks for the hint on the antenna; I'll try it tomorrow.  

As I recall those hot, humid springs, and summers, and falls in Memphis, I'm encouraged that you don't miss your A/C;   I'm still shivering on my evening drives up here in Indiana!
‘69 280 SL
‘24 GLE450e
Tennessee, USA