Author Topic: Hardtop Storage - Hang it from the ceiling  (Read 11181 times)

rico_vancouver

Hardtop Storage - Hang it from the ceiling
« on: June 04, 2006, 20:24:57 »
As I'm sure you've all struggled with the issue of storing your hardtop, I thought I'd share pics of how I store mine. I used a couple of heavy duty storage hooks (I think each can handle 50 lbs) for the front of the top; it's pretty light up there. I made a "swing" out of a 2x4 and a couple of lengths of chain.

I had found that without a really good hoist system, putting the hardtop on or taking it off really takes 2 people. Putting the top up into this storage position is very easy.

Rich
'67 250SL
'87 560SEC Euro Spec
http://qube.myvnc.com/mercedes/250SL/photos/
« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 20:28:42 by rico_vancouver »

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Hardtop Storage - Hang it from the ceiling
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 07:04:01 »
Rico,

My late Uncle, an old championship sailor from where my car came, had a similar set-up to yours with the 2x4's used to hold the hart-top up in the garage.  This was concocted in the 1960's prior to my 280 when he had a 1964 230SL.

Anyway the difference was instead of chains he used sailing parts and either a come-along or a winch and some pulleys (no doubt bronze and from an old sail boat!) mounted on the wall of the garage to raise and lower the hard top.  No doubt the contraption is still there in my aunt's garage today in New York!

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

joelj

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 10:07:02 »
Rico,

interesting contraption. I bet it costs a few USD compared to the ones beingsold inthe market.

how do you mount it ? doesn't the wood get in the way?

thanks

Joel

1969 280sl auto
White exterior
Blue interior

Lilly

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 02:58:37 »
Bravo !
I've now got an excellent use for the Harken brand sailboat pulley blocks that have been dusting in the basement for years...Instead of just storing the top on the hooks and stationary 2 X 4, I will construct a hoist with some hooks, and my pulley blocks, and ropes and store the top in the air instead of vertically on the ground or on a cart or stand (which I always thought would bend, deform, contort, etc. the top if stored that way for a time).

Fellows:  thank you for the idea!

Pagoda Lilly

Vince Canepa

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 05:17:05 »
I have stored my top in the overhead for years.  I use a hoist.  However, there is something to consider.  There is only enough room under my top for the SL.  My sedan will not fit.  For me this is an issue because I use one garage bay as my "working" bay.  When I need to park the sedan in the spot normally occupied by the SL, I need to lower the top and store it someplace else.  For folks with a ceiling height over 8 feet, this is less of a concern.

Vince Canepa
1967 250SL
113.043-10-001543
568H Signal Red
116 Caviar MB-Tex

rico_vancouver

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 08:32:33 »
I had actually tried to use a block and tackle as the first version of my storage system... it still ended up being a 2-person job due to the precarious nature of dangling the hardtop over your car. So I decided that since I will always have to have a helper to add or remove the hardtop, I designed the storage hangar for 2-people as well.

Joel, the 2x4 swing is mounted either into the rafters of the garage. But in my case, the exact spot where I wanted to hang it from was in-between rafters, so I had to cut and install a chunk of 2x4 to fit in that spot. I over-engineered it, and used "joist hangers" from Home Depot, and then used eye-bolts that go right through the 2x4 and the swing. Big flat washers ensure that this rig isn't going anywhere. I forget what strength of chain I used, but I hung from it myself (180 lbs.) and it was fine.

When you put the front of the top up on the hooks first, as you start raising the top, the 2x4 swing will move out of the way as the glass pushes it back. As soon as it clears, it "swings" back into place, and you set the roof down on it. To remove, each person holds their side with one hand (the front is still well supported), and use the other to push the swing back until you can lower the top past it.

It's brilliantly simple, if I do say so myself. More detailed pics can be taken if necessary.

Rich

JimVillers

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Virginia Beach
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 10:30:17 »
I have stored my top on the ceiling for years.  The key to my storage system are car top carrier clips from Sears that grip the edge of the top.  It is thoroughly described in a 2000 posting on MercedesShop. http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/showthread.php3?threadid=15311

Jim Villers
190SL, 230SL 5-Speed, 190E 2.3-16 Kompressor, MGB 5-Speed
Jim Villers
190SL, 230SL 5-Speed, MGB 5-Speed, MGB GT V8 RHD (real MG), 2016 SLK

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 18:59:01 »
Quote from Jim V. in the aforementioned Mercedeshop thread "My 230SL top is relatively light but my 190SL top is very heavy...."

Yikes! I didn't think any top could be heavier than ours! Anyhow, I like Rich's concept -- especially because it would keep the top stable. If I dangle mine from the hoist -- it spins at the slightest touch and never end ups in the right spot. I decided to let it dangle during the winter months -- when I might put it on and off a few times, but in Spring/Summer/Fall I took it back down and leaned it against the wall. My garage is not real big but it is also only 8 foot high. With the top hanging, it feels crowded. I might try a similar "stabalizer" when its up there...Thanks Rico.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

rico_vancouver

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 21:04:16 »
Hi James,

You will find that with an 8' ceiling in your garage, that you will have approx. 6'4" of headroom beneath the 2x4 swing. I don't recall the exact dimensions, but the chain needs to be about 16" long in order for the hardtop to sit level. With the eye bolts, and the 2x4 itself, the overall drop from the ceiling is close to 20". You could probably prop it up on a bit of an angle, so that the back sits up a little higher to get a bit more headroom... trust me, it is very stable in this position. I'm only 5'11", so it hasn't been an issue for me - the car is usually in the way, so there's no chance of banging my head. If anyone needs exact dimensions, I can take a few minutes to measure and draw it up.

Rich

joelj

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 09:02:43 »
Thanks for answering my post rico.

Now I'm looking at my ceiling and checking if i can instal a hard top hoist :)

thanks for posting

Joel-j

1969 280sl auto
White exterior
Blue interior

n/a

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 11:11:10 »
I have my top hanging from the ceiling for about a year now and never had any problem. I have ropes underneath it to prevent it from moving and also provide a safety nest in case the hoist gave way. It has absolutely no problem and did not even drop 1 mm. We have our family minivan parked under it and it works out great.

Louis 70 280sl Red Auto

dreyer635

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2006, 00:05:38 »
I'm using an eletric winch and a modified ski rack mounted on the hardtop. This works fine and it is also easy for me to mount / dismount the hardtop alone if needed.
The eletric winch is a "less than 100$" version made in china and for this purpose it is good enough.

69 280SL 4 speed

Download Attachment: hardtop-heis 001-a.JPG
62.9 KB