Author Topic: exhaust system  (Read 3526 times)

Sam SL

• Regular
  • Canada, British Columbia, Vancouver
exhaust system
« on: May 18, 2006, 00:56:57 »
Hello;

I am about to spend for a new exhaust system.  My 71 is very original and I drive it about 2000 miles per year, mostly during the summer months on the west coast of Canada.  Currently the car's exhaust system is factory MB from about 7 years ago and the muffler has a small leak.  I am debating about acquiring a stainless steel system.  For those of you who have already gone that route tell me about what you think.  My biggest resistance to the move is that it would no longer be a MB factory part.  Sam

Sam
Sam

'71 280 SL  -- Green Queen
82 300D
92 500E
97 SL500

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Re: exhaust system
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 02:22:05 »
Hello Sam - if you do a search on 'exchaust' you will find many posts on this topic. Also you can check here:

http://www.sl113.org/articles/exhaust/exhaust_system.asp

I switched over to stainless a few years ago and I like the piece of mind. I would not be happy if a system I put in only 14,000 miles ago had to be replaced like in your case and, with the stainless, this is avoided. The only downside is that my new system is probably a bit louder than a stock system, although I can't really be sure about that, since even with the stock system, my car was quite loud compared to modern cars. When I drive through a tunnel at, say, 60 MPH and have to accelerate, people must think a motorcycle is approaching.

Cees ("Case") Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

glcg123

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Canada, MB, Winnipeg
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 10:38:32 »
My 65 230SL is 100% original including paint which is in incredible conditon. I bought the car 3 year's ago from my neighbour's estate. They had owned it since new. Because it is original and in fabulous shape I have made a decision to keep it original.

I put on a MB exhaust last spring  The MB system was purchased from California and the fellow who sold it to me had purchased it several years earlier but never put it on his car. As he sold the car I was able to buy it at a good price compared to new MB parts prices in Canada. The front pipe leaving from the exhaust manifolds on my car was the old style, side-by-side pipes versus the new style where they are staggered. I ordered from Miller Benz in California a new set of front pipes that were MB to complete the system. I specified MB and they supplied MB. (I lucked out and sold the incorrect pipe to a fellow in town here with a 280SL who was tired of the weird exhaust noise from his car. He is converting over to MB).

I had Continental Car here in Winnipeg do the system installation work. Tony there is extremely finicky. The system was installed, tack welded, removed, then full welded, and followed up with heat paint on the welds. It looks factory and sounds great. The heat paint should minimize rust at the weld area

If you plan on keeping the car and it is original then I would go for a repair of your factory system. Miller Benz can nelp with reasonable parts prices.  

George
Winnipeg

1965 230SL - 4 speed

ted280sl

• Silver
  • USA, NY, New Rochelle
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 14:50:18 »
Sam,
  This is a recurring topic. How original should your car be. I think each of us need to answer that on our own.
  Having said we need to make up our own minds that does not mean  can't share with you my opinion on this matter.
  Although I have great regard for the MB engineers who designed our cars, I believe that there is a design flaw in our cars. Every automobile exhaust releases carbon dioxide and water vapor. Because of the angle of the muffler residual water vapor tends to condense and stay in the muffler. This leads to rust. The advantage of the stainless systems is obvious in that they will not rust.
  There is no doubt that if you want your car to be of museum quality, the stainless steel exhaust will just not do. f you want to drive your car for years without the concern that your muffler is rusting from the inside out, then you must have a stailess steel exhaust.
  Regarding the topic of sound suppression. My car has a Timevalve stainless steel exhaust. When I first purchased my car it was loud. Over the years the decibel level has been reduced significantly because of other problems such as loose exhaust nuts, incorrectly placed clamps and worn bushings.
  I believe I have gone on long enough on this topic. I hope I have provided additional information for your consideration.
Ted 1969 280SL

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 15:59:58 »
Sam,

I too have the Timevalve.  I can't tell you whether it is noisier or not as I've never had the factory exhaust.

You only really need to be concerned about "original" if you are showing the car; and then again, only in an MBCA judged Concours, and then again, only in "Show" class; all others don't judge the underside of the car.  Of course there's the psychological factor of having "foreign" parts in your baby, but you'll have to work on that on your own.  We can't help you there.

A SS system might very well be the last exhaust system you buy for this car.  However, 304 SS won't necessarily last forever but it will indeed last a very long time.

It's easier to install then an MB system as no welding is required, just clamps and hangers.  Because it is "3rd party" you might pay less then the factory system anyway.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

macca2210

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 06:43:38 »
I've had a s/s system for 15 years or more.  Well worth the investment, and doesnt detract from OEM value - you can always fit an original back on!

Only issue I have is that the s/s doesn't have the original sound. Its OK, just not right. The original sound is quieter and more raspy.  Newer s/s systems might be better.

Lilly

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 02:17:01 »
SamSL, I installed a Time Valve System SS exhaust on my 230 SL over twenty years ago and it still exhausts like it did over twenty years ago, i.e., it has zero leak holes.  And, regarding its sound, I've read some of the other fellows dislikes or complaints about it being too loud for them.  But, my opinion of its sound is nothing less than grrreat !   I.E., in sum, it sings its song titled "True Roadster-Engineered Like No Other Car In The World" to me and my passengers every time it is called upon.

Vince Canepa

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 10:14:41 »
I tried the SS systems (Borla and TimeValve) and could never get the correct fit.  Also, the Borla I tried had so many harmonic periods I could not stand to drive the car.  I even drove the car to their factory (about 300 miles from my home at the time) and they could not fix it.  I ended up installing a factory system (installed and welded myself).  That was 1986!

How do I make it last?  I plug the tips with rolled up shop rags immediately after I shut the engine off.  That minimizes the air drawn into the system as it cools down.  Reducing the air reduces the moisture drawn in.  I have also removed the entire system and repainted it with VHT high heat paint twice in the 20 years.  Seems to work, given the 20 years of good service.

Vince Canepa
1967 250SL
113.043-10-001543
568H Signal Red
116 Caviar MB-Tex

jeffc280sl

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 14:43:16 »
Hey Sam,

Ordered a complete TimeValve system today. They estimate I should have it in two weeks.  I can give you my comments and some pictures after I receive the pieces.  They told me that they make the mufflers in house entirely out of stainless steel.  Should not need to worry about the system even muffler internals for many, many years.

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed