Author Topic: Pagoda Roof Rack on ebay  (Read 8382 times)

Douglas

Pagoda Roof Rack on ebay
« on: June 05, 2006, 08:15:13 »
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1964-Mercedes-230-SL-Roof-Rack_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ42606QQitemZ4646955713QQrdZ1

Okay, if I HAD a Pagoda, I would consider this. (And I'd also make sure it's not for a 107. I believe there was something similar made for a 107 SL as well. I'm sure you could confirm by asking for the dimensions from clip to clip.)

(No affiliation with the seller, of course.)

Douglas Kim
New York
USA

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Pagoda Roof Rack on ebay
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 16:52:01 »
Ah, the old eBay aution...

IMHO "very nice shape" and "will need to be restored" are quite peculiar statements when used to describe the same object...particularly one with an "as is" auction.  Let the buyer beware!

If one absolutely, positively must have this, better make darn sure its the right one, and count on a re-chrome....

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

TR

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 17:18:08 »
Mike -- Good advice indeed.

I notice, as of this writing, there is just one bidder.  It's someone I've had the great pleasure of meeting.  To say he is qualified on this would be a major understatement.

Tom in Boise
'71 280SL 4-spd, signal red w/lt. tan interior, restored/enhanced

Ed Cave

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 20:26:58 »
I like correct, vintage accessories as much as the next guy but I'm not sure anyone's Pagoda is going to benefit aesthetically with the addition of this rig.

Now the proper ski rack, with some period wooden skis (leather bindings and all) could look great on the car at a car show or something but I'd never just drive around with them on, unless perhaps I lived in Aspen or Telluride or somewhere like that.  8)

Ed Cave
Atlanta, GA

1971 280SL
1973 911S
2004 A4 3.0
2006 GS430

Bob G ✝︎

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 01:57:42 »
Since I already have a luggage rack, can some one please put the soft sided factory luggage on e-bay  so I can put something in my luggage rack?

Bob Geco

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 06:05:41 »
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Cave

I like correct, vintage accessories as much as the next guy but I'm not sure anyone's Pagoda is going to benefit aesthetically with the addition of this rig.

Now the proper ski rack, with some period wooden skis (leather bindings and all) could look great on the car at a car show or something but I'd never just drive around with them on, unless perhaps I lived in Aspen or Telluride or somewhere like that.  8)

Ed Cave
Atlanta, GA

1971 280SL
1973 911S
2004 A4 3.0
2006 GS430

At the 2005 Concours at Cranbrook, there was a 193X Pontiac Hill Climb Racer, used in hill climbing races popular in upstate New York at that time.  The owners dressed in period costume.  It was amusing.

A period ski-setup would like very amusing--considering most car shows in the country happen in summer, or summer like weather in the south! ;)

Bob G, not sure if you'd want to pay for the proper luggage...it's very dear I'm afraid...

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Douglas

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 08:54:56 »
For what it's worth, here's a photo of a rack installed on a hardtop:

Download Attachment: rack.jpg
26.04 KB

A few years back, I owned some 1950s Mercedes luggage that I ended up selling to a friend with a 300 SL Roadster. He wanted to strap it to a repro luggage rack he was making for the boot lid. Personally, I think the same idea would be nice on a Pagoda -- OEM luggage on the OEM rack.

Douglas Kim
New York
USA

Ed Cave

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 16:51:23 »

At the 2005 Concours at Cranbrook, there was a 193X Pontiac Hill Climb Racer, used in hill climbing races popular in upstate New York at that time.  The owners dressed in period costume.  It was amusing.

The opening post in this thread http://sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=4161+attire from last fall features my wife in her period Pagoda attire. Michael, the ski attire idea is a good one but probably better suited for your neck of the woods.

Ed Cave
Atlanta, GA

1971 280SL
1973 911S
2004 A4 3.0
2006 GS430

enochbell

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 17:40:58 »
Ed,

From the pics I have seen of your ride you have one of the few cars that would be worth this kind of investment.  So I say, speaking for the entire group if I may, go ahead and buy one just so we can all see how it works out!

Maybe I will spot you some day on the road.  But with your 1000 miles and my 1000 miles a year, what are the chances? (Roswell to AAC or AGC on rare weekends).

Best,

g

'64 230sl, fully sorted out...ooops, spoke too soon

Bob G ✝︎

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 19:48:04 »
It is a very rare item since most Mercedes-Benz dealerships did not even list this item on the price discription cards with options. It just so happened my father and mother were travling together (rare) and since My father purchased his car through through a contact of his in Germany directly dealing with Daimler Benz over seas delivery the fitted luggage and roof rack were mentioned to him. Because he was one of the first to have a mobile phone (they were large and the transmitter took so much room in the trunk. He ordered an automatic transmission and so that is how my car came to have the luggage rack. I have one small soft sided suit case missing the straps and I am looking to fine two other sizes to complete my set for the car.
It is intresting that a luggage strap for the trunk was availible, if members like Doulas Kim had not posted pictures of the set up I would not of knowen about this clever idea.
My father drove from Stuggart to afew other cities and then shipped the car back to Los Angeles, California were it was to live. He loved that car even though he had problems that he put in an early direry to track the warrenty information. His next Mercedes-Benz was a 1976 450SLC again European delivery . however I never found out what happened to it and were the paper work was about the car.
I guess I can be happy the 280SL was kept with all of  its documents  and orginal manuals. that in its self was the icing on the cake.
Bob Geco