Author Topic: Fuel in 2046...Can You Predict the Future?  (Read 5817 times)

Ed Cave

Fuel in 2046...Can You Predict the Future?
« on: May 09, 2006, 15:16:18 »
These cars we love are 35 to 43 years old. Let’s look into the future 40 years from now; its 2046.

Personally, I'll be 89 and my license will have undoubtedly been revoked but for the sake of conversation, what will service stations look like then? Will unleaded fuel as we know it today even be available? Will there be enough demand for it? Will there be very limited places where enthusiasts of older cars will even be able to purchase the fuel their cars were built to run on?

Predictions anyone? Please, no predictions on what a gallon or litre might cost in 2046; at least here in the US we can't predict what that may be next week.  ;)

Ed Cave
Atlanta, GA

1971 280SL
1973 911S
2004 A4 3.0
2006 GS430

enochbell

Re: Fuel in 2046...Can You Predict the Future?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 15:46:52 »
What a great question, Ed.  My guess: internal combustion engines used to power everything from lawnmowers to daily transportation will use ethanol or some other bio fuel.  Hydrogen will be the answer for commercial vehicles, mostly trucking and rail/water transport.  Where will we get our fuel for our antiques?  Specialty stores will still sell high octane petroleum for racing and enthusiasts, but the price will put the fuel out of reach for all but the wealthy and those who would rather drive than eat.

Just my $.02,

Drive 'em while you can.

g

'64 230sl, fully sorted out...ooops, spoke too soon

JPMOSE

• Gold
  • USA, DE, Harbeson
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 16:31:54 »
I predict that gas will still be around, but the demand will be much lower (due to other forms of energy).  Sooner than 2046 (I'll be 89 as well), I think tougher legislation will halt operation of vehicles with high levels of pollution.  Since a good percentage of classic vehicle owners are wealthy and powerful, the fight for continued use will be strong.  Hence, I believe that advancements in technology will offer an affordable device (for lack of a better term) to reduce the level of pollution to an acceptable standard.  Maybe we'll give up our truck space for devices that aid in lowering emissions.  This may sound "way over the top" but it is a theory!

It would be a sad day to stop operation of our vintage vehicles!  I have been saddened by film spiraling downward, as this one of my first loves.

Good question Ed...I'll look forward to other comments.

Best Regards,

J. P. Mose
1968 250SL
Best Regards,

J. P. Mose
1968 250SL
1970 280SE 3.5 Cabriolet
1987 560SL

gugel

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Rolling Hills Estates
    • CPE Site
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 18:10:37 »
Mostly diesel fuel, much of it biodiesel. Fundamental change comes very slowly.

Diesel power is already more and more popular in Europe (with better fuel than in the US).  A couple of my friends there have Audi diesels, and there's little noticeable difference in noise, smoothness, or power from gasoline power.  As I understand it, diesel pollution problems have also pretty well been solved.  I have trouble understanding why hybrids are a better solution than diesel power.  Big batteries aren't cheap.

BTW, what about steam power?  It's always seemed to me an excellent way to power cars -- for example, maximum torque at zero rpm, so no need for transmissions.  One objection used to be that without the engine running while the car is stopped (e.g., at a light) the electrical drains for radio, A/C, etc. would drain the battery too fast, but hybrids have much the same problem and seem to solve it OK.  Perhaps one just needs larger batteries, or maybe a small constant speed internal combustion engine.

Chris Earnest

71 pagoda

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 18:18:49 »
The cars we are driving today will be the new classics in 40 years. They will always be gas for these vehicles. We will only lower our dependency for fossel fuel. It will interesting to see what comes next.

hauser

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 21:40:20 »
Lately my thoughts have been about all these new additives they're adding to gasoline and how they'll effect my car's engine.  I haven't really given much thought about 40 years from now.

Some of you guys in the forty-ish range (myself included) may way to think back about thirty years or so.  Back in the sevnties I was pretty convinced that by the year 2000 we would all be traveling around in flying cars.  It's now 2006 and I still don't have a flying car!

If I were to make some prediction I would say that the average household would have an electric car for around town and a turbo diesel for longer trips.

1969 280sl 5 spd
Gainesville, Fl.

dreyer635

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 07:54:14 »
Predictions by some Oil producers is that less than 10% of the worlds fossil oil reservoirs have been found or are at the moment able to produce from. Be also aware of an empty oil wells still contains about 50% of the reservoirs capacity left after production is finished (today), and in the future I predict new ways off retrieving more out of already known oil wells are a major area to invest  / investigate in. CO2 or water injection is some of new techniques used.

Also diesel is coming together with different mixtures of bios – myself I have a BMW 1 series with diesel engine, and it’s silent, speedy and quiet. Only noticeable is the revs. only goes to 4000. I still think we will be able to drive an SL in 40 years time.

Cost of gas: All of Europe is today paying twice the cost US gas prices – so that will not be a big issue. (at least not for the Europeans)in the future

SL 280 69 - 4 speed
Norway

Chad

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 21:57:18 »
The energy yield will likely fall dramatically and environmental impact per energy yield will likely rise importantly as H2O injection/etc is needed to squeeze dwindling reserves out. Big technology changes will occur and these machines will become relics perhaps. All technology is temporary, the I.C.E. and petroleum-based fuel is no exception.

Maybe the biggest changes will involve technology developments being focused to need/efficiency built items rather than convenience/luxury serving items.

1967 230SL (Manual)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 22:03:09 by Chad »

JPMOSE

• Gold
  • USA, DE, Harbeson
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2006, 05:52:30 »
Here is an article about what a gas station could be in the future:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/science/06/12/alternative.fuel.ap/index.html

Best Regards,

J. P. Mose
1968 250SL
1987 560SL
Best Regards,

J. P. Mose
1968 250SL
1970 280SE 3.5 Cabriolet
1987 560SL

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 11:28:15 »
I suppose this one's out of the question...(but you never know)

Fuel in 2046?

Download Attachment: fuel.jpg
61.65 KB

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2006, 13:20:43 »
Hey James,
This one could burn your fuel....

Download Attachment: MB06_300.jpg
37.8 KB

naj

68 280SL
68 280SL

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2006, 13:48:26 »
Cool. Well, I was thinking more along the lines of this type of vehicle...

Download Attachment: jole.jpg
45 KB

(I tried to find Detlef's Horse-Powered Pagoda Pic but its not there anymore...)

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL