Author Topic: Ignition Self-Imposed Problem  (Read 2615 times)

Sven

Ignition Self-Imposed Problem
« on: June 23, 2006, 07:20:16 »
All,

I have a problem with the ignition/electrical system for a 68 280sl.  The car was running fine. I was going to do some work around the thermostat & alternator so I removed the battery cables first.  I removed the positive battery cable first, and in doing so my wrench (while connected to positive battery cable/post) also touched something near the distributor area and a few sparks flew.  The car started that day but was misfiring/sputtering and wouldn't rev over 2000rpm. I haven't been able to get it started since.

I visually inspected the distributor and cables from coil to distributor and distributor to spark plugs and couldn't find any visual problems.

One more tidbit, I was tinking with the alternator and belt assembly a couple of weeks ago and then found the battery had run dead after driving the car for an hour or so. I assumed I simply hadn't tensioned the alternator cable tight enough, but perhaps this is connected to the bigger problem.

I am a very novice shadetree mechanic.  Where should I start (distributor, coil, voltage regulator, etc)? All advice and suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards

graphic66

Re: Ignition Self-Imposed Problem
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 07:36:03 »
Fried condensor, thats my guess. Easy fix.