Author Topic: Engine Starting Aid Tour  (Read 34767 times)

Ben

Re: Engine Starting Aid Tour
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2006, 05:47:36 »
Speaking of pump solenoids, I am looking at a friends 280SL USA which only has the lower unit, though someone has disconnected it and I cant find any trace of it in the loom !

Can anyone tell me where these wires would normally enter the loom or where I can pick them up/run a fresh hotwire to ??

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

glennard

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2006, 07:13:02 »
Hi,  Re: Mechanical FI systems. If it makes anyone feel better, I don't think MB built any two MFI the same on all the 220SE thru the 280SE/SLs(a million or so engines).  Of the 30 or so I've owned, no two had the same H/W- i. e. throttle valve, solenoids, relays, linkage, sensors, etc.  The same relays were wired differently from year to year.  Their, MB, literature reflects their attempt to solve the problems inherent in an analog system.  The digital brain came later- at affordable cost.

merrill

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2006, 06:38:09 »
so, received my WRD back from Hans at H&R . he told me how to test these.

1. put the thermostat in the freezer overnight.
2. take thermostat out of freezer, and put a scrbe mark on the actuating pin.
3. put in hot water or put in a pyrex and add hot water,  watch for the pin to move and then you can measure the scribe mark.    the pin is only supposed to move about 6 mm.  not much.  

4. measure the travel.

I followed this procedure and then verified the unit was actuating the swich in the inj pump by re assembling the unit (while the pin was extended)  and then just put the whole wrd unit in place.

I could hear the switch in the inj pump being pushed down.

matt

Matt
66 230 sl - "white"
78 300 D - Blue
98 C230
Matt
Austin Tx
66 230 sl - "white"
78 300 D - Blue
98 C230