Author Topic: The 'Ideal' License Plate Frame (US)  (Read 13405 times)

Ed Cave

The 'Ideal' License Plate Frame (US)
« on: November 07, 2004, 10:22:46 »
Please share your opinions and resources for license plate frames, an accessory that should, in my opinion, equate to the quality of the car that bears it and follow the credo of the great Bauhaus architect Mies Van der Rohe who coined the phrase, "less is more" to describe a new minimalism in form and design.

(How far over the top can one go when describing a license plate frame!?)

I found this one in titanium which looks simple enough but value the opinions and experience from others enthusiasts on this site.

http://www.properautocare.com/ittifr.html

Ed Cave
Atlanta, GA

1964 356C
1971 280SL

hauser

Re: The 'Ideal' License Plate Frame (US)
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2004, 10:37:41 »
Ed, you are absolutely right.  A nice license plate frame is one of those finishing touches that is often forgotten.  This same vendor also offers a show chrome finish.  I think would lean more towards it than the other.  With such a high level of restoration as yours to have something other than chrome would not look right.  The one thing that I really like about these frames is the mounting screws/ bolts and caps are flush with the frame.

1969 280sl 5 spd        1999 ML320          Gainesville,Fl.

Douglas

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2004, 11:23:31 »
I take a different view on these kinds of add-ons. Personally, I prefer my SL to look as unadorned by me as possible.  I haven't even put on a right-side mirror.  I just want the factory design to stand on its own.

Obviously, this is a matter of personal choice & completely subjective.

One thing I have done is to create a bracket to center the front plate on the bumper. I always thought it looked sloppy to mount it using the top holes on the plate since most of it hangs below the bumper that way.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220
« Last Edit: November 07, 2004, 11:24:19 by Douglas »

TheEngineer

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, West Seattle, WA
  • '69 280SL,Signal Red,
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2004, 11:31:46 »
Please, Guys, watch out: These advertised license frames are NOT titanium, they are just painted grey. Powdercoating is just paint, albeit baked on. Solid titanium frame would be nice stuff, doesn't corrode, ever. I have some things made from it. It is somewhat dear, but I get it from Boeing Surplus at about $7.00/lbs. IMHO I'm with Hauser: A chrome finish looks better for that application.

'69 280SL,Signal Red,007537,tired engineer, West-Seattle, WA
« Last Edit: November 07, 2004, 22:04:45 by theengineer »
'69 280SL,Signal Red, 09 cam, License BB-59U
'67 230SL, 113042-10-017463 (sld)
'50 Jaguar Roadster XK120, #670.318 (sld)
tired engineer, West-Seattle,WA

Tom

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Alexandria
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2004, 17:57:42 »
I bought a license plate frame with an integrated brake light.  I think our brake lights are too dim and I think this will help.  I havn't installed it yet because the sl113.org fashion police are likely to write me a citation, but I am thinking of taking the risk and putting it on.

For those interested:

http://www.julianos.com/license_plate_frames.html

1971 280sl Tunis Beige Metallic (restored & enhanced)
1971 280sl Tobacco Brown (low mileage stock)
1970 280sl Deep Red (Project Car)
1971 280sl Tunis Beige Metallic
1971 280sl Beach Driver

Douglas

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2004, 19:44:31 »
The 190SL Group has done a wonderful job of displaying some of these kinds of details on their website. Their site isn't finished, but it's an excellent start worthy of our emulation. Part of it is dedicated to license plate frames:

http://www.190slgroup.com/tech/det_rear.htm

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220

Albert-230SL

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2004, 12:34:19 »
quote:
Originally posted by Douglas

I take a different view on these kinds of add-ons. Personally, I prefer my SL to look as unadorned by me as possible... I just want the factory design to stand on its own.

Agree with Douglas... and with Mies Van der Rohe  ;) : "less is more", then: why not to keep the factory license plate frames, even with US plates? That means only one frame in the front bumper, because they didn't use frames at the back:

According with vintage press pictures of Pagodas, they originally have a front license frame (current MB part number: 123 817 0378, price around 35 Euros), and have no license plate frame at the back.

Anyway, I think this "titanium" frame looks too modern for the car...

Please find attached three of these vintage pictures.

Regards!

Download Attachment: Front-license.jpg
61.26 KB

Download Attachment: Back-license.jpg
77.22 KB

Download Attachment: License-frames.jpg
47.38 KB

Albert de la Torre Chavalera
Barcelona (Catalunya/Spain)
Feb.'64 230 SL Euro 113042-10-002432

n/a

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2004, 14:22:41 »
both our SL's came with frames, front and rear, that looked like this...they are very nice since they keep the plate from bending, and don't require/show the ugly screw heads that license plates typically require.  I don't know if this was an MB accessory in the day, or what, but I have seen these on many, many 113's.

-Lewis

66 230 sl 113042-10-016238
67 saab sonett II #43 of 258
00 saab 9-3 viggen conv
02 saab 9-5 aero

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2004, 17:53:05 »
This is fine for those of you in Europe, but the original issue seems to be how to deal with the U.S./Canada style front plates.  The European front bracket is of such a design that the plate sits within a raised "frame" that is part of the bracket itself, not a separate frame that is placed over the plate obscuring the edges of the plate itself.  This is most clearly seen in the third photo of two cars front to back.  The front framed bracket is shown without a plate fixed.  There doesn't seem to be a framed front license bracket of comparable design and quality for the U.S./Canada style of license plate.  I'd love to get my hands on one if it was available!

quote:
Originally posted by Albert-230SL

quote:

I take a different view on these kinds of add-ons. Personally, I prefer my SL to look as unadorned by me as possible... I just want the factory design to stand on its own.

Agree with Douglas... and with Mies Van der Rohe  ;) : "less is more", then: why not to keep the factory license plate frames, even with US plates? That means only one frame in the front bumper, because they didn't use frames at the back:

According with vintage press pictures of Pagodas, they originally have a front license frame (current MB part number: 123 817 0378, price around 35 Euros), and have no license plate frame at the back.

Anyway, I think this "titanium" frame looks too modern for the car...

Please find attached three of these vintage pictures.

Regards!

Download Attachment: Front-license.jpg
61.26 KB

Download Attachment: Back-license.jpg
77.22 KB

Download Attachment: License-frames.jpg
47.38 KB

Albert de la Torre Chavalera
Barcelona (Catalunya/Spain)
Feb.'64 230 SL Euro 113042-10-002432

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havanna Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

Douglas

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2004, 19:23:22 »
There are a couple of issues that the US vs. Euro plate raises. One is the frame issue and the other is the centering issue.

Personally, I'm more bothered by the plate being off-center than the lack of a frame. Here's a photo of the nose of my latest SL with the license plate centered over the front bumper:

Download Attachment: front.JPG
74.1 KB

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2004, 19:58:04 »
That looks great and is probably fairly easy to do.  Now for a suggestion on how to cover up the bumper slots on either side of the plate:  Find a couple of good looking grille badges and fix them to the bumper on either side of the plate!  

quote:

There are a couple of issues that the US vs. Euro plate raises. One is the frame issue and the other is the centering issue.

Personally, I'm more bothered by the plate being off-center than the lack of a frame. Here's a photo of the nose of my latest SL with the license plate centered over the front bumper:

74.1 KB

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havanna Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

Douglas

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2004, 20:30:21 »
Here's a photo of a car up at Hatch & Sons where you can see the actual bracket since there's no plate on the car:

Download Attachment: MP01-69-280SL-04.jpg
63.11 KB

(Oh and by the way, note how the front bumper is bowed out on the driver-side corner on this car. It may just be an adjustment, but that's a definite no-no on a $75K car!)

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220
« Last Edit: November 10, 2004, 20:35:14 by Douglas »

babarsheikh

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2006, 09:00:28 »
Douglas,

I have bought my first Pagoda: a 1970 280SL.  It came with only the back blue cali vinateg plate and I have ordered a replica for the front.  I also ordered a nice basic chrome frame too (2 holes on the top).  Do you have any recomendations as to how I should mount it. I have those horzontal holes on the front bumber and I guess I need a bracket right?  Any ideas as to what I should do and where i should get the mounting stuff for the least disruption/damage?

Appreciate your help,

Bobby

quote:

74.1 KB

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220

Douglas

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2006, 13:28:08 »
Bobby,

I'll take measurements of the frame I have and post them for everyone later tonight. You could have it fabricated by any competent shop that works with metal.

Douglas Kim
New York
USA

Sam SL

• Regular
  • Canada, British Columbia, Vancouver
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2006, 15:08:25 »
Ed, the frame I like and bought is from the local Mercedes dealership.  What I like about it is it's simplicity and also the quality of the chrome that matches the car's brightwork in depth and coloration.  I remember paying over $75 for them.  

Sam
Vancouver

Sam
Sam

'71 280 SL  -- Green Queen
82 300D
92 500E
97 SL500

babarsheikh

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2006, 16:25:53 »
Douglas or anyone,

If I have a standard frame and plate what bracket do I use to mount it on the bumper?  

Or does a standard frame fit directly onto the bumper (I have not received my frame in the mail yet but it is standard size with 2 holes at the top).

Thanks,

Bobby

quote:

Bobby,

I'll take measurements of the frame I have and post them for everyone later tonight. You could have it fabricated by any competent shop that works with metal.

Douglas Kim
New York
USA

Bob G ✝︎

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2006, 02:00:06 »
The tie makes the suite and the shoes make the man! well the correct license plate can make your car stand out as well. My choice are simular to Ed's a simple dark chromed plate with designer caps with the logo are my choice. Simple yet elegant. they do not screem Mercedes-Benz to the world.
however if I want to show off a bit I put vintage Hollywood Mercedes-Benz license plate tags on the 280SL. But thats like jeans compaired to dress slacks  would you say?
Bob Geco

babarsheikh

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2006, 10:10:05 »
I emailed the MB classic center and here is their response:

Unfortunately, the plate mounting bracket is no longer available.  Some owners use one from a newer 107 series SL in it's place.  Please visit your local Mercedes-Benz Dealer directly for this part.

I guess there is no option but to drill!!  Do you agree?

Bobby
1970 280SL

quote:
Originally posted by babarsheikh

Douglas or anyone,

If I have a standard frame and plate what bracket do I use to mount it on the bumper?  

Or does a standard frame fit directly onto the bumper (I have not received my frame in the mail yet but it is standard size with 2 holes at the top).

Thanks,

Bobby

quote:

Bobby,

Douglas Kim
New York
USA

JOS

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2006, 14:58:34 »
See attachment of my Personal tag, it is a copy of my North Carolina official tag. (smaller tag) My personal tag is attached to the car without any bolts or frames, I used Heavy Duty Velcro.

John O. Salazar
1966 230SL

Download Attachment: 66220001.jpg
63.29 KB

Bob G ✝︎

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2006, 15:10:51 »
Thelicense plate frame holder pictured from Hatch & sons is the one I have for my 280SL. I would have to dig up all my receipts but I remember buying a nice universal braket that is make to accept USA license plate and has threaded holes for the machine screws. someone could call hatch & sons & ask for the vendos phone number> i beleive this braket works frro front and back I would like to purchase another my self
BOB GECO

babarsheikh

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2006, 14:52:22 »
I talked to Jim Hatch and her referred me to his parts person who was great.  I emailed him the picture Douglas posted and got this response:

HELLO BOBBY THE PARTS YOU NEED ARE AS FOLLOWS
126-817-02-11 LICENSE PLATE BRACKET
107-987-01-42 X2 SPACERS
124-990-12-36 X4 SCREW
914032-004210 X2 BOLT
6X20MM X2 WASHERS  
6MM X2 NUTS
HAVE A NICE DAY

I am going to get mine today..

quote:
Originally posted by Bob G

Thelicense plate frame holder pictured from Hatch & sons is the one I have for my 280SL. I would have to dig up all my receipts but I remember buying a nice universal braket that is make to accept USA license plate and has threaded holes for the machine screws. someone could call hatch & sons & ask for the vendos phone number> i beleive this braket works frro front and back I would like to purchase another my self
BOB GECO

dundee

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2006, 07:55:04 »
Bobby,

I would also like to get one of these brackets.  What are the contact details for the parts vendor, or did you order it through Hatch & Sons?

Best wishes,

Charlie
Boston, MA

1969 280SL

babarsheikh

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2006, 08:58:14 »
Charlie,

I just ordered it through the dealer, any MB dealer can get it for you within a couple of days if tey don't already have it in stock.  Costs about $50 and is from the 126 chassis cars...

quote:
Originally posted by dundee

Bobby,

I would also like to get one of these brackets.  What are the contact details for the parts vendor, or did you order it through Hatch & Sons?

Best wishes,

Charlie
Boston, MA

1969 280SL