Author Topic: Signal lights unattatching on side of car at back  (Read 2481 times)

babarsheikh

Signal lights unattatching on side of car at back
« on: July 28, 2006, 17:46:47 »
The signal light on one side of my car (at the rear end close to the bumper) appears to be coming off - at the front end of the light where there is no attaching mechanism.  The chrome is separating fromthe rubber and the rubber is coming off the body.  (I tried to attach a picture but the system is not letting me I took the photo at the lowest resolution and the size was 130kb so not sure what the problem is).  

How should I attach the rubber back to the body? And the chrome back to the rubber?  I am assuming some sort of glue. Wondering what are people using?
Thanks,

Bobby
1970 280SL

al_lieffring

Re: Signal lights unattatching on side of car at back
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 18:00:33 »
There was a locating tab on the lense (opposite the mounting screw) that has broken off. glueing the lense back on will prevent you from replacing the lamp it it should ever burn out so change it now. I guess you could use 3M weatherstrip adheasive and use making tape to hold it in place overnight till the glue dries.

BTW the file size for uploads is 80KB max I was trying for an hour to get pics uploaded till i figured that out.

Al

113-042-10-014715
built 11 Jan 66
904/396 blue, Ivory Tex
condition- rust bucket

babarsheikh

Re: Signal lights unattatching on side of car at back
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 20:58:06 »
Thanks Al. Wonder if there any other option aside from gluing?  Purchasing a new part?  Anyone done that and got a P/N?

quote:
Originally posted by al_lieffring

There was a locating tab on the lense (opposite the mounting screw) that has broken off. glueing the lense back on will prevent you from replacing the lamp it it should ever burn out so change it now. I guess you could use 3M weatherstrip adheasive and use making tape to hold it in place overnight till the glue dries.

BTW the file size for uploads is 80KB max I was trying for an hour to get pics uploaded till i figured that out.

Al

113-042-10-014715
built 11 Jan 66
904/396 blue, Ivory Tex
condition- rust bucket