Author Topic: Steering pulling to the left  (Read 2245 times)

mulrik

Steering pulling to the left
« on: July 26, 2006, 06:15:46 »
Last year I had the toe-in, castor and camber adjusted, the car felt nicer steering afterwards. However, both before but also after adjustment the car has a marked tendency to pull to the left. The tires shows no indication of uneven use. How does one adjust the steering so the car goes mostly straight, but without offsetting the toe-in and camber?
Thanks!
BR,
Ulrik

'67 250 SL Papyrus White 113043-10-000023

r.bartl

Re: Steering pulling to the left
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 13:10:53 »
I had a similar symptom last year.
even no indication on the rubber of my tires, everything went perfect after re alligning them.
that's where I would start.

230SL, 1967
ivory with chocolate brown top

n/a

Re: Steering pulling to the left
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 19:09:59 »
mulrik

A couple of thoughts.  You may want to check to see that the steering box is centered when the before the camber, caster and toe in are set.  If the gear box is not centered the car will pull to the right or left, depending on which way the steering is off.  The caster, camber and toe in can be dead on but if the steering box is off, the power steering pump will be trying to pull the car right or left.  There is a plug/set screw on the steering box that can be removed and replaced with a bolt that has a tapered end.  This bolt will hold the steering gear on center while the front end parts are aligned.   Just be sure to remove the bolt before trying to drive the car.  With the bolt in place the steering is locked.  Check you BBB for the location of the plug.

You may also want to have the rear end aligned at the same time the front end is aligned.  This could also effect how the car handles.  

Good luck

Iverson