Author Topic: Rebuilt transmission  (Read 3046 times)

John C

Rebuilt transmission
« on: August 15, 2006, 17:44:39 »
While driving my (automatic transmission) 1970  280SL it suddenly popped from 4th gear to neutral; it would then only drive in reverse or 2nd gear---no upshift to 3rd or 4th.  Shop tells me I need a new transmission ($4200. from M/B); since this is not a transmission shop, I told them not to do anything and I would take it to a tranmission shop to confirm their diagnosis.  Obviously, I'm looking for alternatives to spending this much money. If I go for a rebuilt, I see 3 names that are coming up: Adsit in Indiana, Peter Schmid in Calif., and Sun Valley in Calif. (I'm in N.Y.).  Has anyone had any experiences with any one of these outfits?  Any one better than the other, or should I go for the best price? Am I jumping the gun in assuming that my problem can only be remedied by a rebulid instead of something else  (a friend suggested I may only need a torque converter[?})? Any suggestions? As always, thanks.

al_lieffring

Re: Rebuilt transmission
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 18:59:20 »
A torque converter(a pagoda actualy has a fluid coupling) failure would leave the car without any hydraulic pressure to engage any of the gears, forward or reverse. The first step should be to remove pan and filter then look for large metal chunks.
Another possibility could be the drive flange nut is loose on the tail shaft allowing the governor to slip. preventing the 2-3 shift. Auto trans wern't my specialty though, Willie worked on them in the next stall over.

al  :O)

113-042-10-014715
built 11 Jan 66
904/396 blue, Ivory Tex
condition- rust bucket

graphic66

Re: Rebuilt transmission
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 20:02:14 »
Sounds like you have some stuck shift sleeves in the sleeve shift box, probably the command sleeve for 3rd gear. Probably some gunk in the tranny. You could pull the sleeve shift box and clean it out, maybee. These are pretty tough transmissions and you may just need to clean it out.