Author Topic: installing a new split boot  (Read 3384 times)

james

installing a new split boot
« on: August 21, 2006, 14:54:34 »
dose anyone have any experiance with installing a new rear end split
boot?
I have installed it and it still leaks?
jim

Jim

Mike

Re: installing a new split boot
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 15:26:34 »
Jim, I too installed one of these exactly as called for and it leaked like a seive.  I have spoken to others who have somehow gotten them to work without leaking but I couldn't.  I bit the bullet and put in the unsplit variety.  It was a bit of a chore.

Michael L. Hund

JimVillers

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Virginia Beach
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 15:42:29 »
Jim .... I have successfully installed two split boots and they did not leak.  The first key is to align the split to the rear at the 9:00 o'clock position.  That is the place where it will flex the least.  Second, I clean and glue the split with weatherstrip adhesive before clamping it together with the hog nose clamps.  

You didn't mention how your replace the boot; I remove the gas tank to gain good access.  I suspect that the boot is leaking at the split; you could remove the clamps, clean and glue the split and reclamp your current boot.  That should fix it.

Jim Villers
190SL, 230SL 5-Speed, 190E 2.3-16 Kompressor, MGB 5-Speed
Jim Villers
190SL, 230SL 5-Speed, MGB 5-Speed, MGB GT V8 RHD (real MG), 2016 SLK

paults1

• Senior
  • USA, FL, The Villages
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 20:59:00 »
When you remove the old boot make sure that all of the oil (90W)inside the axle tubes is drained. Otherwise when you add the 2.5 liters of new oil the new split boot will be to full and will likely leak. This happeneed to me the first time I installed a new split boot. The next time I just happened to have my compensating spring off & noticed when I lowered the axle tubes down slightly a lot of old oil poured out. After that no leaks. With the comp. spring installed, one could suck the oil out with a Myvac or similar vacuum device.

Regards, Paul, very early '63 230SL

tuultyme

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 22:07:45 »
Drained rear oil while car was still on its wheels.  I made sure I removed all oil residue from where the new boot mounts.  I used just a little Permatex Form-A-Gasket Sealant till I got it clamped together.  The hardest part was putting on the clamps as I did not remove the spring or the tank.  Working upside down in such a tight place sure got me turned around under there.  When done I droped it back down and let it set overnight before I added new oil.  Only fill with it setting on its tires.

Bruce; 268Blaugrun(green) 1970 280SL; IL

james

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 05:20:15 »
thanks for all your help and I will try again. Jim

Jim