Author Topic: Vintage Car Magazine: Skinned Knuckles  (Read 3920 times)

JPMOSE

• Gold
  • USA, DE, Harbeson
Vintage Car Magazine: Skinned Knuckles
« on: August 30, 2006, 06:54:25 »
Can anyone shed some light on this magazine?

http://skinnedknuckles.net/pages/about%20us.htm

Best Regards,

J. P. Mose
1968 250SL
1987 560SL
Best Regards,

J. P. Mose
1968 250SL
1970 280SE 3.5 Cabriolet
1987 560SL

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
Re: Vintage Car Magazine: Skinned Knuckles
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 10:49:29 »
It sounds like an interesting read. I did a quick google search, and it appears to be quite legitimate, however, I would be very interested to hear more from some out there that have direct experience. It is not available on newstands, only by subscription, and looks to be ~US$30/year.

Jonny B
1967 250SL Auto
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

Bob G ✝︎

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 17:42:35 »
J.P.
I subscribe to Skinned Knuckles because there is a lot of usefull information for the home restorer. In fact I just purchased all the back issues they had 250 magazines total because of the intresting articles I saw on the web site. I meet the editor when I went to go pick up the magzines from his home.
Skinned Knuckles is mostly about very old cars from the 1920s to 1950s and how restorers keep them running, but because of the nature of the articles I have read in them from time to time its almost like a new langauge that we can learn again.
You can purchase this publication by subscription or if you live in Los Angeles it is availible at Auto Books in Burbank on Magnolia. Because I do not alway have the time to drive to Auto books and nowing my weakness for purchasing books and model cars I subscribed for a one year subscribtion.
I success that you purchase a copy and look in the back issue section for reprints of articles that may apply to your intrest

Bob Geco
since we can not know everything there is to know
we ought to know a little about everthing.

psmith

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 23:15:38 »
I used to subscribe to Classic Auto Restorer (now Auto Restorer)  It covers 40's through 70's, mostly american, but sometimes imports too.  It's a real "How To" magazine, not show and tell.  A lot of good general information.  Here's a link http://www.autorestorermagazine.com/ar/

Pete S.

cth350

• Regular
  • USA, NY, Rockville Centre
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 20:55:22 »
It's a GREAT magazine. I've been subscribed for at least 10 years now.  The people involved are warm hearted, real car people that understand what makes these lovely old machines tick. There are about as many articles on mercedes as there are corvairs, hudsons and Hispano-Susas.  Heck, I wouldn't have know one wit about the HS's w/o reading Skinned Knuckles.

If you like getting your hands dirty, this is definitely the thing to read.  It's short, usually about 50 pages (lots of pictures), clearly written, and always worth the time.

-CTH