Author Topic: 280SL Head removal  (Read 4367 times)

jcjblo

280SL Head removal
« on: September 12, 2006, 15:36:57 »
I am still stumped and need advice:
After removing the chain, I still cannot get the head off. Do I have to remove the cam as well? Otherwise the three big bolts cannot be removed as the cam is in the way. Am I missing something here? There is absolutely no help in the BBB or Haynes on this.
Thanks in advance.
Joseph

enochbell

Re: 280SL Head removal
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 17:14:18 »
Joseph,

Yes, the cam towers are secured by head bolts.  They must be removed to get the head off.  For a good look at the configuration go to http://www.sls-hh-catalogue.de/bin/dbframes.phtml?mid=IN02

Best,

g

'64 230sl, fully sorted out...ooops, spoke too soon

glennard

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 19:25:15 »
Don't forget the three(?) little bolts(6 mm?) in the tension pit and at tne front of the chain.  You don"t have to remove the chain. Unbolt the cam sprocket and slide it off the cam shaft.  Cam shaft stays bolted to head.

quote:
Originally posted by jcjblo

After removing the chain, I still cannot get the head off. Do I have to remove the cam as well? Otherwise the three big bolts cannot be removed as the cam is in the way. Am I missing something here? There is absolutely no help in the BBB or Haynes on this.
Thanks in advance.
Joseph

glennard

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 19:28:01 »
When you put the head and chain back on, check for TDC and valve no 1 line up.  If off, get a off set key.  They come in various degrees.

quote:
Originally posted by jcjblo

Thanks in advance.
Joseph

enochbell

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 08:35:45 »
Joseph,

I think I have mislead you, I said the head bolts went through the cam towers.  This is wrong, they instead go through the towers that carry the oiling tube and that receive the valve cover bolts.  You do not (and by all advice Should Not) need to disturb the cam in order to remove the head.  Sorry for any confusion,

Best,

g

'64 230sl, fully sorted out...ooops, spoke too soon

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 04:30:51 »
Hello,

Actually all the 10mm allen style bolts must be removed, (both those on the cam towers and those the on the valve cover hold down straps). In addition the four 6mm allens (two in the chain gallery one of which is in the chain tensioner "oil pool" and two on the outside of the head by the distributor) must also be removed. The cam towers will still be attached to the head by the 13mm nuts on the "foot" of the cam towers (under the rocker arms).

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 04:31:26 by ja17 »
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430