Author Topic: stereo help  (Read 9179 times)

miniwarmth

stereo help
« on: October 19, 2006, 23:10:35 »
I have a correct Europa TG in my 'SL.  Great looking and functions perfectly, excepts its mono and the speaker stinks. I don't think anyone will disagree: looks great, sounds not so great :) Anyway, I have searched and searched and seem to remember that sometime back a post was made that showed pictures of 2 way speaker setup in the kickpanels. The kickpanels were certainly mdf or fibreglass. I just found the post, but it was not from a sl113.org car.(http://www.privatpc.no/bremen06/bremen-06%20090.jpg)   Has anyone on this board done this modification in a tasteful way? And could they share any pain points: what did they do on the drivers side with the headlight flasher switch, bonnet release lever, or was cutting necesssary on the drivers side?

Also, would anyone care to share their experience mounting an amp under the passenger seat?  As my car is fairly nice looking I am intent on not doing anything to it that would be permanent.  The goal is to remove(and save) the existing kickpanels and insert a modified panel with a nice two way speaker setup. Add an amp under the passenger seat, and have a small wire near the ash tray for my iPod.  No head unit, no cd changer in the glove box or boot.

I know that several people have added iPod capability and I love the wiring diagrams provided. But I just cant' seem to find the pictures a good description or set of pict of custom kickpanels from a 113 member or an underseat amp installation.

tia,
Nik
ps- I'm heading to Chicago on a little road trip from Boston.  I am leaving this Sunday and will be there until next Thursday.  If anyone Pagoda-heads want to grab a beer, I'll be in the city all week.  Why fly, when I can drive :)

'65 230SL

Klaus

Re: stereo help
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 09:17:23 »
Nik,
stereo speakers in the kickpanels were optional/standard (depending on country) as of W113 built in 1969. Becker radio has a 4 page pamphlet with installation measurements and instructions. This pamphlet is posted on pagodentreff.de (search "Lautsprecher") but not very legible there. You may get it from Ed Ebel at Becker.
I put my amp in the dashboard, actually it fitted under the radio. Under the passenger seat you should consider that - depending on your driving style and the state of your heatshields - this area gets rather hot, since the exhaust pipes are routed just below, towards the center tunnel.

Klaus
1969 280 SL

paulr

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 12:48:58 »
Hello

My car (1970 280sl ) has a CD changer behind the passenger seat underneath the 'kinder seat' area, accessed by tilting the seat forward. One could use this space for all sorts I suppose. The controller, made by Alpine was rather cleverly put into the ashtray in the centre console. The whole thing works by switching on the 'amp' and pressing the assigned VHF preset knob on my dash mounted Becker.The speakers are in the footwells and seem fine although the drivers side is a liitle scuffed. All this was done by the previous owner who excerised considerable taste when choosing his hiding place and leaves my car looking intact. Having said all of this, the sound is really not too good considering the trouble and thought put into it. It is only a matter or tweeking though, I'm sure.
I'm not sure what help this has been but at least you know it can be done and when I can be bothered, I will get my sounds into shape.

good luck

paulr

quote:
Originally posted by miniwarmth

I have a correct Europa TG in my 'SL.  Great looking and functions perfectly, excepts its mono and the speaker stinks. I don't think anyone will disagree: looks great, sounds not so great :) Anyway, I have searched and searched and seem to remember that sometime back a post was made that showed pictures of 2 way speaker setup in the kickpanels. The kickpanels were certainly mdf or fibreglass. I just found the post, but it was not from a sl113.org car.(http://www.privatpc.no/bremen06/bremen-06%20090.jpg)   Has anyone on this board done this modification in a tasteful way? And could they share any pain points: what did they do on the drivers side with the headlight flasher switch, bonnet release lever, or was cutting necesssary on the drivers side?

Also, would anyone care to share their experience mounting an amp under the passenger seat?  As my car is fairly nice looking I am intent on not doing anything to it that would be permanent.  The goal is to remove(and save) the existing kickpanels and insert a modified panel with a nice two way speaker setup. Add an amp under the passenger seat, and have a small wire near the ash tray for my iPod.  No head unit, no cd changer in the glove box or boot.

I know that several people have added iPod capability and I love the wiring diagrams provided. But I just cant' seem to find the pictures a good description or set of pict of custom kickpanels from a 113 member or an underseat amp installation.

tia,
Nik
ps- I'm heading to Chicago on a little road trip from Boston.  I am leaving this Sunday and will be there until next Thursday.  If anyone Pagoda-heads want to grab a beer, I'll be in the city all week.  Why fly, when I can drive :)

'65 230SL

paulr
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 12:49:48 by paulr »

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 22:33:31 »
Hello Nik,

Here are scans of the Becker information.

Download Attachment: Stereo1.jpg
76.58 KB
The above page shows an unusual rear mounting configuration for an electric antenna. I have never seen a pagoda with and antenna located on the rear quarter.

Download Attachment: stereo2.3.JPG
79.87 KB

This mounting layout is a little difficult to see. However all the information is here.

The top diagram shows the mounting of the separate power pack, some wiring and the separate fuse box.

The centerline of the speaker is 61mm from the "tuirsaule" and 81mm from the top of the "lanstrager".  

Information for the speaker hole and mounting holes is also given in the other diagram. The speaker hole diameter is 70mm and the holes for the mounting screws are arranged in a square layout of 82mm between screws. 3mm diameter screws are specified.

The bottom diagram shows the configuration of the original radio rear support bracket.

Download Attachment: stereo3.1.JPG
75.54 KB

Download Attachment: stereo4.1.JPG
80.13 KB

This parts list is very complete and includes parts numbers for all parts and hardware including the interference suppression kit, auxilary fuse box and wiring.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio

« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 23:18:41 by ja17 »
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

wildatheart

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006, 07:43:51 »
quote:
Originally posted by ja17

Hello Nik,

Here are scans of the Becker information.

Download Attachment: Stereo1.jpg
76.58 KB
The above page shows an unusual rear mounting configuration for an electric antenna. I have never seen a pagoda with and antenna located on the rear quarter.

That's exactly where my aerial is located, and it seems to have been the original fitment. Have a look at my car here if you like;

http://index.php?topic=5869

I have an amp in in the space under the removable panel behind the driver's seat; and a headunit in the same space behind the passenger. These spaces seem absolutely perfect, and are wasted otherwise. (and they have thusfar been bone dry, too). The faceplate of the headunit is fixed under the dash behind the centre cardboard panel, with a small hole for the infra red remote control sensor. I soldered a 16 core cable between faceplate and headunit. This particular headunit has a voice confirmation for most inputs, so I don't miss the display too much. I have a blanking plate with the chrome '280 SL' emblem on the aperture on the dash, which I think looks really nice.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a3/weirdontop/merc%20pics/merc5.jpg

Sorry Nik; I know your question was about speakers, not amps and headunits ...

Jaap

1970 280SL
1971 BMW 2000 Touring
1965 Volvo 122S
1986 Ford Capri 280 Brooklands
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 07:47:05 by wildatheart »

CarlG

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2006, 14:08:32 »
Another possible location for speakers is hanging from the softtop compartment in the rear.  I have two "J" hooks per speaker that simply hang over the compartment.  They do not hamper the closing of the lid in any way.  The hooks are actually a piece of metal about 1" wide that were curved to fit over the upper edge of the compartment.  Thus the speakers can be removed at any time.  The wires are just run under the carpet and don't really show.  It gives pretty good sound although with the noise level of our cars it doesn't have to be the best quality anyway.

1967 230sl (stick)

wildatheart

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2006, 15:24:00 »
quote:
Originally posted by CarlG

It gives pretty good sound although with the noise level of our cars it doesn't have to be the best quality anyway.

1967 230sl (stick)

I beg to differ; especially when a car is noisy you need a high power, high quality sound system to be able to enjoy music at all. Good bass response in particular helps to differentiate the music from all the other ambient noise.

Jaap

1970 280SL
1971 BMW 2000 Touring
1965 Volvo 122S
1986 Ford Capri 280 Brooklands
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 15:26:09 by wildatheart »

nick350

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2006, 09:32:25 »
must look good too.

quote:
Originally posted by CarlG

Another possible location for speakers is hanging from the softtop compartment in the rear.  I have two "J" hooks per speaker that simply hang over the compartment.  They do not hamper the closing of the lid in any way.  The hooks are actually a piece of metal about 1" wide that were curved to fit over the upper edge of the compartment.  Thus the speakers can be removed at any time.  The wires are just run under the carpet and don't really show.  It gives pretty good sound although with the noise level of our cars it doesn't have to be the best quality anyway.

1967 230sl (stick)

miniwarmth

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 00:21:37 »
I agree...hence the need to place a nice two way setup in the kick panels. I really want good imaging and fidelity without an intrusive install.  Right now I'm listening to DynAudio and Morels - really high quality speakers for the home that also have amazing mobil drivers.  The Genesis amp I'm looking at is about 1 1/4" thick and seems to fit nicely beneath seat - it's also fan cooled.  But before I do, I'm struggling to find many who have made this leap...

Jaap/paulr - can you post a picture of your amp install or send to me?

Joe - thanks for the becker pics on the antenna.  I'm not planning on wiring the TG to the amp, but instead using a the radio tuner through iPod when I need it.  Or just use the TG through the stock speaker for the authentic experience.

Best,
Nik

'65 230SL