Author Topic: Car Cover  (Read 3251 times)

Kemal

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, London
Car Cover
« on: May 16, 2007, 16:24:13 »
Advice please ;
 Do you all keep your car in a garage ...if so , do you keep her covered ?
Mine is kept in a regular brick garage all the time except for when I take her out of course .I sometimes wonder whether I should cover her or not as  it tends to get spidery/dusty and damp in there . [Especially as I have spent the time cleaning & maintaining her]

Any covers you can recommend ?

Also , do have to wait for the engine to cool down before you cover her ? as I live 10mins away from the garage .

I hope this all makes sense

Kemal
280 SL Manual
Kemal
280SL
Manual LHD69

harleydan

Re: Car Cover
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 22:30:59 »
Hi Kemal,

I keep my W113 in my garage (a heated garage) with a soft dusk cover.  A car cover is highly recommended to keep the car from getting dusty.

I got my cover from California Car Cover.  It is cloth and only for dust and sun.  I did not want the all-weather or moisture/water proof or resistant cover because I did not want to trap moisture and it is only a fair weather car.  I wash the car cover very now and then to ensure often to ensure that trapped dirt does not act as an abrasive on the car.

I would think that a soft dust cover can be put on car just as long as the car is not wet, vice, an all-weather cover.

Cheers,
Danny
1970 280SL Siver Euro 4-speed

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 13:58:09 »
I keep mine covered when I have it in the garage, mainly to prevent the dust issue. I got mine from Griot's but any reputable place should have them for the SL.

Jonny B
1967 250SL Auto
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

rob walker

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 07:15:23 »
Kemal, have you considered a Carcoon?

Rob Walker
1968 280SL papyrus white/green leather
Spain and Turkey

steve bonds

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 11:49:36 »
quote:
Originally posted by french280sl

I sometimes wonder whether I should cover her or not as it tends to get spidery/dusty and damp in there . [Especially as I have spent the time cleaning & maintaining her]

if you are not caring for 'her' as you call your car by dehumidifying the garage, I can suggest that you put those crystal rechargable dehumidfiers in the footwells. It is amazing how much water comes out from your car when it is garaged and still. I dont think that your car is a show quality car and as much as it is desirable to protect her, I suspect by your post history that you are spending too  much time worrying if your car will survive until next week. It will and I am sure that if you use your car as much as you post you will have years of happy motoring, albiet in a green left hooker.
To be honest I think the others are right, perhaps do a little low level heating in there. Covers are fine but I think the UK is too wet and think of the "p i t a"
drying the car then making sure there is no grit in the cover and making sure it doesnt get on the floor. Use a good wax and some 303 aero protectant and it will all be OK

« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 11:57:32 by steve bonds »

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 12:15:45 »
Kemal

I have one of the covercraft ones (Technalon). Works a treat.... (unlike that outfit she's wearing)
http://www.covercraft-europe.com/homepage_car.html
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

Kemal

• Gold
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 12:26:26 »
Thank you,
Danny , Jonny ,  Rob , & Tosh.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 12:27:23 by kemal shah »
Kemal
280SL
Manual LHD69

Kemal

• Gold
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007, 12:29:04 »
Does she hand deliver ?

quote:
Originally posted by Tosh

Kemal

I have one of the covercraft ones (Technalon). Works a treat.... (unlike that outfit she's wearing)
http://www.covercraft-europe.com/homepage_car.html

:D
Kemal
280SL
Manual LHD69