Author Topic: soft top poorly engineered  (Read 3621 times)

rmmchl

• Silver
  • USA, WV, Charleston
soft top poorly engineered
« on: December 30, 2006, 22:55:25 »
The soft top compartment is just plain too small, and the whole thing is a poor design. I get frustrated reading about all of these soft top problems. Everything from it not sealing well around the windows, to shrinking too much. The compartment must have been an afterthought. It was and is plainly too small to house the top!
michael romeo           
1967  250sl
signal red

Douglas

Re: soft top poorly engineered
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 00:59:44 »
My experience has been that a properly functioning top is actually a nicely engineered feature. There's definitely a specific procedure to which you have to adhere when raising and lowering it -- and it's certainly a tight fit -- but I never felt it was a poor design. You've got to factor in a lot of issues when you sit here 40 years later like worn, or even bent, top frames, ill-fitted or poorly made aftermarket canvas, missing springs.....

A fairly common failure that is attributable to driver error is to drive at speed with the soft top up but not properly fastened in the rear. At highway speeds, the top can work itself free on either rear corner of the tonneau cover and twist itself up pretty badly. I've seen it happen on more than one SL. My point is that probably more than a few of us are driving cars with frames with this kind of incident in their past. I'm sure Gernold will confirm this.

One thing Gernold will tell you is that aftermarket tops are skimpy on the fabric. I remember he mentioned to me that he recently helped GAHH develop a better-fitting skin for the Pagoda SL.

Douglas Kim
New York
USA

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 05:33:42 »
You also might want to consider the fact that this is a 43 year old car. Start comparing it to it's contemporaries and you will see the true elegance. E-type Jag anyone?

bpossel

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2006, 08:32:52 »
Its amazing how easy it looks to fold up the top when you look at the video on YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Idfzc1Mqejc
I think it does show how the top worked correctly when it was new and adjusted the right way.  I think since these cars were hand built, there is an art to making this piece and many others on our cars to work as original... but this is why I am having so much fun with it!
I get such a great sense of satisfaction when I finally have one more piece of these great old cars working again.  Half the fun for me is the work, the other half is the drive.
 :) Happy New Year!
Bob

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320

TheEngineer

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, West Seattle, WA
  • '69 280SL,Signal Red,
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2006, 11:34:53 »
Happy New Year to all! I really have no problems with my soft top. It certainly takes longer to put down than on a Miata. I also use "shoehorns" to get the edges past the cavity and reach in to fold the edges down, but it's ok. Recently I got caught in a rain storm and found that two drops of water came in. When I cranked the window all the way up, it stopped. I'm pretty happy with it. I also have not owned many convertibles and can't make comparisons.
'69 280SL,Signal Red, 09 cam, License BB-59U
'67 230SL, 113042-10-017463 (sld)
'50 Jaguar Roadster XK120, #670.318 (sld)
tired engineer, West-Seattle,WA

cth350

• Regular
  • USA, NY, Rockville Centre
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 07:51:08 »
I opened a closed a W113 softtop for the first time yesterday. It was a very cranky and creaky apparatus.  Clearly, it's been leaned on for 40 years.  Do we have any documentation on the site for how to R&R the frame?

I prior post mentioned springs.  I only noticed two pieces of spring steel shaped like large commas near the bottom. I'm sure there were others and I'm sure a few might well be missing.

I'll take pictures next week, as I bought the car anyway and need to make room for it in the garage now. -CTH

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 14:18:42 »
Everyone seemed to miss the important point on this one; hinge lubrication. Much of the folding or binding problems can be traced back to siezed componets. Use a non-oily lubricant for this job and olny use a few drops that will work into the pins and keep things free.
107 cars are really bad for this. The hinges seize up,  the pins brake off and bend everything badly. This makes the whole system to bind up and things really get bent by frustrated owners.

Dan Caron's
 SL Barn
benzbarn@ebtech.net
 slbarn.mbz.org
  1 877 661 6061
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC