Author Topic: New Part for an Old Legend  (Read 4730 times)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
New Part for an Old Legend
« on: January 03, 2007, 08:14:48 »
Hello All,

In the December 11, 2006 issue of BoschZunder, the "in house" newspaper for all of Bosch's employees, there is an article entitled New Part for an Old Legend.  I'm trying to have my friend at Bosch see if this is on-line on the Bosch intra-net, and if so I'll copy it here.

The article is about how the Bosch starter (as in starter motor) group, in concert with "Bosch Tradition" (their own "Classic Center") reengineered a brand-new starter for the 190SL.  This was done with an order for 150 units from the MB Classic Center.  They made some improvements as the unit is smaller and lighter and easier to install, and produces 1.4 kW (original was .6)so is considerably more powerful.

Considering the 190SL had only half as many cars made in its production run, I think we aren't too bad off here.

http://www.automotive-tradition.de/en/start/index.htm

This is the link to Bosch's Automotive Tradition website.  Hopefully I gave you the English link here.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Re: New Part for an Old Legend
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 19:22:52 »
Hello Michael,

Yes the 190SL starter motor was not available new for years. I had to make some from later Bosch starter motors by changing some parts around myself in years past.

The other problem with the 190SL and starter motors was that the original units were too big to be removed from the car without removing other parts of the engine!!!  So I suspect that the new improved smaller version will be a great hit!

On the other hand the W113 starter motors are still available, but it is nice to know that Bosch is willing to do special favors for vintage car enthusiasts if parts become "not available".  I am sure these parts are not inexpensive!

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

JimVillers

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Virginia Beach
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 14:36:01 »
The 190SL replacement starter motor that most of us use is the Bosch SR-58 which is fits many of the older Mercedes.  It has a permanent magnet and turns the engine much faster than the original motor.  Installation requires a 10mm wide adapter and new bolts.  I am not aware of any "special" starter for the 190SL.

I believe that the current Bosch for my 230SL is the SR-59 which utilizes the same technology and also should be an improvement over the stock motor.  A friend with a 280SL just replaced his starter and commented about how much faster the engine turns over (I don't have any specifics on his replacement starter).  I do know that if you order a "Bosch Rebuilt" starter, that you will receive a new starter of the new design.

So, it is worth buying a "rebuilt" starter from a national supplier verses rebuilding your old starter locally.

Jim Villers
190SL, 230SL 5-Speed, 190E 2.3-16 Kompressor, MGB 5-Speed
Jim Villers
190SL, 230SL 5-Speed, MGB 5-Speed, MGB GT V8 RHD (real MG), 2016 SLK

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 19:41:27 »
quote:
Originally posted by JimVillers

The 190SL replacement starter motor that most of us use is the Bosch SR-58 which is fits many of the older Mercedes.  It has a permanent magnet and turns the engine much faster than the original motor.  Installation requires a 10mm wide adapter and new bolts.  I am not aware of any "special" starter for the 190SL.

I believe that the current Bosch for my 230SL is the SR-59 which utilizes the same technology and also should be an improvement over the stock motor.  A friend with a 280SL just replaced his starter and commented about how much faster the engine turns over (I don't have any specifics on his replacement starter).  I do know that if you order a "Bosch Rebuilt" starter, that you will receive a new starter of the new design.

So, it is worth buying a "rebuilt" starter from a national supplier verses rebuilding your old starter locally.

Jim Villers

Jim, I don't know too much about 190SL's but as soon as I get that article in digital form I'll post it.  You can go to the link I posted here and you can see that this is a new product, an improvement over the original, and one made in cooperation with the Classic Center (who placed the initial order) and the INTERNATIONAL 190SL group.  I'm surprised you haven't heard about it; my guess is the International Group didn't tell the US group!

Based on what JA17 said, it looks like they nailed the problems with the original.

Here it is:

Download Attachment: Bosch copy.jpg
83.25 KB

It's nice to know Bosch has set up a group to work on parts for old cars...

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

JimVillers

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Virginia Beach
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 20:22:12 »
Michael .... If the International 190SL Group was involved, I would know about it.  I am on the Board, I am the webmaster and I run the Club Store.  

The starter that was no longer supported had rubber bushings between the bolt and the starter.  The bolt was special in that it was 12mm to go through the bell housing and 10mm to go through the bushing part of the starter.  It may have been a good idea at the time but it did not stand the test of time.  I believe that the replacement starter that fits most ponton cars is a significant improvement.

I would be very interested in the article.  You can email it to me at  Jim Villers

Jim Villers
Jim Villers
190SL, 230SL 5-Speed, MGB 5-Speed, MGB GT V8 RHD (real MG), 2016 SLK

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 23:01:58 »
quote:
Originally posted by JimVillers

I would be very interested in the article.  You can email it to me at..
I don't know German, so I can't say what's in the article (page) that Cees posted.  Here's the link just in front of the German article:
http://www.automotive-tradition.de/en/teile/aktuelle_nachfertigung.htm

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"