Author Topic: Rusty sill repair / Body Shop for 280SL near NYC  (Read 5683 times)

n/a

Rusty sill repair / Body Shop for 280SL near NYC
« on: January 17, 2007, 10:56:09 »
I fulfilled my dream of getting a 280SL Manual and now I am living the nightmare of rotted out sills. Both sides front to rear, and into the floorboards on the drivers side. Someone had bondo'd with great care and no one noticed (not even my mechanic) until I went to jack up the car and ... crack! Now I have to find someone who I can trust with a repair like this.

Any recommendations/advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Douglas

Re: Rusty sill repair / Body Shop for 280SL near NYC
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 11:38:38 »
Sorry to hear the bad news, but welcome to a group that can help.

I've always been partial to Kent Bain at Automotive Restorations in Stratford, CT. That's at the top of the Merritt Parkway. It's a top-notch shop that has done dozens of Pagodas. Very nice work, but not cheap. Their website is automotiverestorations.com

There's also an excellent shop owned by a fellow named Matt McGinn called Sports Car Restoration in Southington, CT. Matt knows these cars as well. Their website is http://sports-car-restoration.com/

If you don't mind me asking.... was the car purchased from a dealer or an individual?

Good luck & keep us posted on your progress. We're an amicable bunch here, if I may say so.

Douglas Kim
New York
USA

n/a

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 12:13:37 »
Thanks for the welcome and advice!

The car was purchased from an individual on Long Island who bought the car on eBay from Florida. As far as I can figure he got screwed and unknowingly passed the pain on to me. It has a rebuilt motor from Metric Motors so all is not lost. I will contact the places you recommended, but they may be out of my league.

Please keep the recommendations coming!

Douglas

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 13:12:30 »
There's also a place in Long Island City at 3650 38th Street called Tri-Us Autobody that does decent work. Talk to Dino at 718-729-3414. They're certainly a lot closer than the others and should be more affordable. Not the same caliber of work, but still a capable (and honest) shop.

Douglas Kim
New York
USA

George Davis

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 14:43:59 »
JFPufNStuf,

my car was in similar condition.  Repairing the sills is major surgery and can take several months (8 in my case) and many buckets of dollars.

I also know of another car with the same story, but the owner had an interesting repair made that greatly simplified the work.  The sills are roughly triangular in cross-section, with two of the points flattened to form the flat bottom and the flat outer vertical side.  It's the bottom that rots out, but the remaining metal may be sound.  The simplified repair involved cutting out the bottom and welding in a new section to repair it.  This avoids having to remove and replace the entire sill structure.  Had I known, I would have tried this approach, too.  Depending on what you want from the car, and the condition of the sills, it might be worth looking into this type of repair instead of the major surgery.

It's also possible that the box-section stiffener in the front fenders is bad.  It's inside the fender on the engine bay side and can be seen by looking in and up; it runs from the headlight bucket to the firewall.  The flat top rots, because that's where crud and salt collect.  You can't see the top, you have to feel it; but wear gloves, because if it is rusty you'll shred your fingers.  The book method for replacing this stiffener involves removing the fenders, because there is no way to access the top to weld a new one in place.  Removing the fenders is another major surgery.  But a new stiffener can be installed by splitting it lengthwise, welding the upper section in place from below (inside the stiffener), then welding the lower section in, and then welding the two sections together along the split.

Hope that's somewhat useful info, and good luck!

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 14:54:53 »
I am having mine done now by a friend of mine(Rick Ollah) in Duluth Minnesota. A long ways away but at $30 an hour pretty hard to beat. I have been professionaly involved with cars for a long time(former BMW instructor etc.) and he is as good as they come. He has my car absolutely shredded right now but I know it will be perfect in the end.

For reference the rocker assys with the inner top and outer pieces are about $700 a side and they probably take around 20 hours a side to do without disturbing the rest of the body. If your carpet is original you might figure in the cost of new carpets because the carpet that is covering the inside of the rocker panel is essentially tissue paper held on by intergalactic crazy glue. You probably will not get the carpet off the rocker without tearing it.

n/a

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 15:47:30 »
Wow! Thanks for all the advice. This is stellar. Please keep it coming. Every little bit helps.

k

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 17:20:07 »
Go with Autmotive Restorations, Kent Bain.

They are finishing an 18 month bare-metal restoration of my 250 SL.

Their work is immaculate.

However get ready for at least $10-25k as mine looked like yours sounds and when they opened up the floors and all panels, almost all had to be replaced.

ted280sl

• Silver
  • USA, NY, New Rochelle
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 16:49:41 »
Jerry at Grandview Autobody in Baldwin, NY stripped my car and painted it for a very reasonable fee. I had to remove the chrome. It's been several years and I am very happy with the work.
Regards,
Ted 1969 280SL

cth350

• Regular
  • USA, NY, Rockville Centre
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 19:56:50 »
My 230sl just got a 350 hours worth of restoration at Gustafson's down in Hatboro, PA (just north of Philadelphia). Their hourly rate is about 45$ per.  The result is a stunning, wonderful, fantastic car (I got to see it Monday).  Now, I have to bring it home and finish the assembly of everything I took off before I gave it to them.

They've done several 113 cars to show quality.  You will not be disappointed. -CTH

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2007, 17:32:40 »
Hey CTH, what kind of condition was the car in before the 350 hours?

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

n/a

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 16:19:10 »
Thanks again for all the input. I have contacted a few of these shops for estimates.

Has anyone had any experience with Gene's German Cars in Woodside, NY? Eugene, the owner, seems to know what he is talking about.

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2007, 16:44:41 »
quote:
Originally posted by George Davis

...It's also possible that the box-section stiffener in the front fenders is bad.  It's inside the fender on the engine bay side and can be seen by looking in and up; it runs from the headlight bucket to the firewall.  The flat top rots, because that's where crud and salt collect.  You can't see the top, you have to feel it; but wear gloves, because if it is rusty you'll shred your fingers.  

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual

Hey George. I recall us poking around a bit on the ol' Guzzi. Did you suspect the worse for my stiffener? Well, I decided to take a feel yesterday -- the upper ledge was pretty crusty and full of crud. Lots of what appear to be pebbles, dried up Schutz, and other debris. However, once past the loose stuff, it "seems" sort of smooth. No gaping holes that I can feel and I still have all my fingers! Would be nice if that part didn't need major attention.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL